• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Room mom? Do people really still do that?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 88 Replies

Do people still volunteer at their kids school?  What do you do?

My kids (public) school does not allow for just the general public to be in the classrooms volunteering to help read or whatever.   

They don't allow volunteers for parties either.  If your child needs help bringing in their snack or whatever for a party, you have to come in between 7:30-7:55am, get your pass from the office and sign in, go straight to your kids room, drop it off, return to the office to return your pass and sign out.  They generally only have two parties anyway, Christmas and the end of the year.    

They do allow for parent volunteers for field trips, but you have to pass a criminal background check at the beginning of the school year to be considered later and they run another 48 hours before the field trip.  Even with that, they no longer allow parents to ride on the bus with the children.  The parents follow the buses in their own car (most car pool from the school to the destination and back.)  

So I am wondering what people are talking about when they say they volunteer at their kids school, or are a room mom.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I volunteer in both of my choldren's classes but neither have a room mom. I did have to pass a background check to become a regular volunteer at the school.
I go one day a week for each child. The morning is spent in their classrooms where I work seperately with each student. With my Kindergardener's class, it is reading. With my first graders class, it is addition and subtraction. Then I usually help the teacher check tables and answer kids questions while they do seat work. Before lunch and after lunch, I do whatever the teacher needs done that would normally take time from her class or after school to do. Filing papers, making copies, etc. During lunch, I eat with my child or help monitor the lunchroom if they are short. Early afternoon, I help in the library doing checkouts. And at dismissal, I help with the car riders. Mainly walking the pre-k kids to their car and making sure everyone has been called.
Parents are always welcome at parties.
For field trips, parents carpool because they are not allowed on the bus.
Heisenberg
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:55 AM

I do. I had to have a background check and submit my finger prints first but I help out. I make copies, or help with bulletin boards. Etc.

Miss.MandyLynn
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Here they take volunteer to be room parent and the prissy mom usually takes it right away
bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:58 AM
My youngest is about to turn 25 & it seems like they got real in to the background checks & locked doors & all that right after my kids were through with elementary school. I was always at the school in the volunteer room doing something & a lot of times had my friend's son with me too. I was PTO secretary & room mom for both boys. Did all of their parties & field trips. I liked it & kind of think it's a shame that so much has been cut out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Wow, 2 full days. You should be paid. 

Quoting Anonymous: I volunteer in both of my choldren's classes but neither have a room mom. I did have to pass a background check to become a regular volunteer at the school.
I go one day a week for each child. The morning is spent in their classrooms where I work seperately with each student. With my Kindergardener's class, it is reading. With my first graders class, it is addition and subtraction. Then I usually help the teacher check tables and answer kids questions while they do seat work. Before lunch and after lunch, I do whatever the teacher needs done that would normally take time from her class or after school to do. Filing papers, making copies, etc. During lunch, I eat with my child or help monitor the lunchroom if they are short. Early afternoon, I help in the library doing checkouts. And at dismissal, I help with the car riders. Mainly walking the pre-k kids to their car and making sure everyone has been called.
Parents are always welcome at parties.
For field trips, parents carpool because they are not allowed on the bus.

rebeccarae
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:00 AM
Mine allows it, I just volunteered for their fall festival. I was in charge of bowling lol.
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:01 AM

The schools here encourage volunteers.  We have a HUGE volunteer community - so large, we have volunteer coordinators!

Everyone who volunteers must pass a background check.  If they will be driving, they need to submit a copy of their insurance (minimum coverage 100/300), and their driving record.

I volunteered all the way through my kids high school years - handing out yearbooks, helping at dances, helping on registration day, chaperoning for sports, proctoring AP exams, helping with math reassessments.  With kids in the same high school for 13 years (due to the spread of my kids), they loved having me - I knew how everything worked.

doulala
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Yes, volunteer to help with a specific project, for reading groups, for parties & other regular activities, and definitely for field trips.     There are opportunities for these a couple of times/week in each class in all the grades in my childrens (public) school.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Yes I do it.....for 4 different rooms in the elementary school. I go on field trips as a chaperone and ride on the bus with the kids to and from the trip location

muzzyh
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:03 AM
I get an email from the teacher once in a while asking with help for a party or something. No background check (yet), but I'd pass as a fine upstanding citizen... I think.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)