• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gifts or Vacation?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:57 AM
  • 8 Replies

I have three children....12 year old son and two girls 5 years and 9 months. After this years christmas haul it is going to take months and I mean literally months to get my house back organized with the amount of 'stuff' they collected from various family members as well as from myself and my husband.

I'm thinking next year I would like to surprise them Christmas Day with a vacation...maybe a disney cruise or something and then just get maybe one or two 'bigger' gifts that the kids had been wanting. I mean honestly are my kids going to remeber what they got this yeat for christmas 5 years down the road from now?!?! As Im getting older I would like to make memories with my family more than give gifts.

Do any of you guys do this? And I know my oldest would like this but is this age appropriate for a 5 year old and 9 month old? No bashing and suggestions would be nice :)

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
PeppermintyTea
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:58 AM
We do that type of thing for birthdays, but I think it'd be great for Christmas too.
falloutboy
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:59 AM
Definitely! For my son's birthday this year, we went to Disneyland and he loved it! He won't stop asking to go back, so we're planning on doing the same next year.
alexsmomma06
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:59 AM

I would honestly wait. The magic of Christmas is still there for your two youngest.

DH and I have talked about doing that when our girls get older but they aren't as spread out as yours.

oliveoyl214
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:00 AM

I think thats a wonderful idea! All of you will be having fun together and create a lasting memory :)

baw8756
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Quoting PeppermintyTea: We do that type of thing for birthdays, but I think it'd be great for Christmas too.

It is a great idea for birthdays but their biorthdays are so far apart (march, june, august) and their ages are so far apart that I wouldnt be able to afford it but once a year which is why I was thinkung Christmas. I just dont want to take the joy of christmas away from the younger two

PeppermintyTea
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:06 AM
Two of mine are twins so they usually decide together which makes it easier, but I'm not saying we always go on super big vacations sometimes just weekend trips, but we've done Disney for birthdays also. My kids would choose Disney again over almost any toy. I'd just do their top gift, stockings, and the trip.

Quoting baw8756:

Quoting PeppermintyTea: We do that type of thing for birthdays, but I think it'd be great for Christmas too.

It is a great idea for birthdays but their biorthdays are so far apart (march, june, august) and their ages are so far apart that I wouldnt be able to afford it but once a year which is why I was thinkung Christmas. I just dont want to take the joy of christmas away from the younger two

KRIZZ25
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:07 AM
1 mom liked this
good idea mom..and have family give them stuff for trip.like new swim sutes .
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:10 AM
We do vacations for my son's birthday. It's so much easier to go to Legoland (this year) or Disneyland (next year) instead of stressing over RSVPs for a party
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)