Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Playroom Storage

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:13 AM
  • 27 Replies
We've decided to turn half of the finished basement into a playroom for our toddler. I'd love to see what others have done for toy storage and how it's arranged. We have a cubby unit in the living room which is great for sorting smaller toys, but how do you guys store bigger toys?

Show me your toy storage solutions! :)
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cassie2115
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:15 AM
Bump. I'm interested also!
AJsMom81507
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:18 AM

This is what we use for the toys that fit in bins (which as of right now all their toys do)

and for the larger toys, we just put in a toybox

Snakecharm
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:23 AM
That's the kind of cubbies we have in the living room but a little smaller (9 cubes). A big toybox would work, but not sure I'm loving that particular one. At his daycare they have this huge purple plastic tub kind of like one that would be used as a party beverage holder... But BIG. I WONDER WHERE THEY FOUND THAT. I'd love to see photos of people's playrooms all set up!

Quoting AJsMom81507:

This is what we use for the toys that fit in bins (which as of right now all their toys do)

and for the larger toys, we just put in a toybox

AJsMom81507
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:26 AM

they sell them in lowes/homedepot/ace hardware

Mrs.Pedro
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:29 AM
We just do big bins for bigger toys, and a basket for small stuff like matchbox cars and action figures. Like we have a big Rubbermaid bin, a footlocker and a shopping basket(the handheld kind). The footlocker and big bin get rotated out so only one is accessible at once. I tried to do like plastic shoe boxes for each type of small toy, but it was too much detail for my kids to keep up with. So instead the shopping basket holds all their really little toys. Ride on toys and bigger stuff like that just stays out in the open but pushed against the walls when not in use.
Tabelite
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:30 AM
I would not recommend tubs or buckets or open totes. We have open totes in our basement and I hate it. I would prefer something like the cubbies or a closed toy box. We're going to be redoing the basement "playroom" also, in the new year.
Snakecharm
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:35 AM
Ahh I didn't think to look in a home improvement store. I think a big colorful bin like this could work for his stuffed animals and puppets and some larger trucks and stuff that don't fit in cubbies.

Quoting AJsMom81507:

they sell them in lowes/homedepot/ace hardware

heidi749
by Canadian on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm actually reoraginizing stuff now, it has taken a couple days already.. DS got a huge race car track, that has taken over half his room.. I have one of those cubie things like PP showed in the living room, all art & craft stuff, board games and his homework area, is in  our dinning room , the rest of his toys are kept upstairs, honestly my DS has way too much stuff.. I had a couple of smaller shelves in his room, but took them out and put one long one in, I also have those plastic drawer storage things.. Smaller old home... Once I have everything done, I will post a couple pics, right now it is a bit of a disaster, I do not want to show. I just hope I get all of it done by tomorrow.. I want my house completley clutter free and organized for 2014.... I must get off CM shortly..lol...

Mrs.Pedro
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh! And stations! I make stations for some stuff. Like my 4 y/o just got a cash register and he's got a little push buggy. I put the cash register on a really cheap wooden tv stand with two tiers, and underneath I plan to keep the play foods in baskets(the play food hasn't gotten here yet). The push buggy is parked next to it so they can load the foods onto the top tier of the tv stand to be rung up haha.
Snakecharm
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:42 AM
We have a small home too. I don't mind the cubbies in the living room, but he got a lot of stuff for Christmas and I hate it there. His room is small too so can't store much there. He has a small bookcase with books and a basket with a few random toys but that's about it. Thankfully we have the space in the basement which is just storing some of our random things that we can use as his space. Like rarely used kitchen appliances, box of old VHS tapes, punch bowl, small microwave, bins of hand me down clothes he doesn't fit in yet.... (Of course now we have to find somewhere to put that stuff. Good thing we have a big garage.)

Quoting heidi749:

I'm actually reoraginizing stuff now, it has taken a couple days already.. DS got a huge race car track, that has taken over half his room.. I have one of those cubie things like PP showed in the living room, all art & craft stuff, board games and his homework area, is in  our dinning room , the rest of his toys are kept upstairs, honestly my DS has way too much stuff.. I had a couple of smaller shelves in his room, but took them out and put one long one in, I also have those plastic drawer storage things.. Smaller old home... Once I have everything done, I will post a couple pics, right now it is a bit of a disaster, I do not want to show. I just hope I get all of it done by tomorrow.. I want my house completley clutter free and organized for 2014.... I must get off CM shortly..lol...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)