Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stop being afraid of your kids and BE A PARENT!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies
3 moms liked this

I am amazed at how many people on here pretend that there is nothing you can do when your teen has bad behavior. I see so many replies like "Oh well they are 16...they are going to do what they want to do" or "Punishing them will make it worse you just have to get used to it"....Uh no, it is called being a parent. 

Yes teenagers are harder. Sometimes you have to pick and chose your battles and there is a balance between smothering and good parenting but you dont just throw your hands up in the air and say "oh shit they are teens cant do anything" 

Kids need to be taught from a young age that actions have consequences. Breaking a rule means a punishment. If you dont do that when they are young it will never work when they are a teenager. 

My middlechild got into some trouble. She was sneaking out, skipping school,  drinking, and doing drugs. She was 16...people were saying that there was nothing I can do.."just be there for her" of course being there is important but breaking house rules, breaking the law, etc wasn't going to happen. I installed an alarm on the house...she stopped sneaking out. I requested she get detentions for everytime she skipped she stopped skipping school. I took away her privledges and let her earn them back. I sure as hell didnt just throw my hands up in the air and say oh well.

Stop being afraid of what you have to do to parent your kids. It is just sad. 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
destiny3513
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:01 AM

I agree...kind of. But I only have a baby so my views will probably change as I learn to parent more effectively.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:01 AM

I have teens and really nothing serious needing attention like that in my house.

My dd 18 graduated with straight A's and is working full time.

My dd 14 has mostly straight A's & 1 B ( so far), no problems with skipping school or drugs.

They know it wont be tolerated and they wont try it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this

what about the teen who threatens to call  cps over 'rules'?  i'm sure many moms don't want cps in their lives due to an unruly teen, and i know some lives that were made pure hell cuz of teen lies...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:03 AM

I have 8 kids lol. That DD was the only one who gave me any trouble. She was like the "perfect kid" and I just didnt believe anything bad was happening until BAM it was huge all at once. It took about a school semseter to get her back on the right track. She was the one who I never thought would do anything bad so when I started hearing that she was doing bad things I thought my other kids were just bored. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I have teens and really nothing serious needing attention like that in my house.

My dd 14 has mostly straight A's & 1 B ( so far), no problems with skipping school or drugs.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Well said. There are ,many parents who make excuses for their children all their lives. 

Its the terrible 2's and 3's.

Its a Boy/ Girl thing.

They picked it up from school.

Its hormones. 

Lazy parenting ... excuses. Yes we all give in sometimes, but the majority of us step us and raise our children

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:05 AM

at first I didnt understand why you were laughing and telling me all about your kid, then I realized you thought I was competing with you on how well our children are, sorry I wasnt I was just writing a comment about my kids...

Quoting Anonymous:

I have 8 kids lol. That DD was the only one who gave me any trouble. She was like the "perfect kid" and I just didnt believe anything bad was happening until BAM it was huge all at once. It took about a school semseter to get her back on the right track. She was the one who I never thought would do anything bad so when I started hearing that she was doing bad things I thought my other kids were just bored. 

Quoting Anonymous:

couture-mommy
by 8.21.1831 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this
A teen shouldn't have the control to threaten and manipulate their parents.
Let them call CPS.
I'd beat their ass after CPS left

Quoting Anonymous:

what about the teen who threatens to call  cps over 'rules'?  i'm sure many moms don't want cps in their lives due to an unruly teen, and i know some lives that were made pure hell cuz of teen lies...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Let them call CPS then...CPS wont take your kids away if you have rules. CPS will also be able to talk to them about what happens if they dont knock their shit off. They can talk about what happens if a parent signs their kid over to foster care etc.

Quoting Anonymous:

PPCLC
by AZ Lizard on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this

They used to call it "Tough Love," and for some reason, many parents have forgotten that their primary role is to BE a parent and that requires them to set age appropriate boundaries for their teen and to discipline when necessary...and STICK to that discipline.

Our 16-year old is a great kid. She's a very smart, wise, articulate, and intelligent young lady. Unfortunately, there are times that all of those wonderful qualities translates to the occasional arrogant, rude attitude.

Since it wasn't the first time that she gave that type of attitude yesterday, she's permanently lost her cell phone. She was very upset but tough...she cannot talk to her dad and I as she tries to sometimes.

Even the greatest parents and the best of kids will still have their issues. That is normal. Where it goes wrong is when the parent says, "Well...that's a teenager for ya!" and chooses to look the other way.

We're raising our kids to one day (hopefully) be responsible, respectable adults. We're not raising them to condone every bad deed they commit or to be their friend.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Nah I didnt think you were competing...just sharing and I was sharing back!

Quoting Anonymous:

at first I didnt understand why you were laughing and telling me all about your kid, then I realized you thought I was competing with you on how well our children are, sorry I wasnt I was just writing a comment about my kids...

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)