Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How tired is normal?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:04 AM
  • 23 Replies

I'm starting week 2 of my vacay from work and I thought I would be less tired by now but I'm not. I sleep 8 hours most nights because I force myself to go to bed early. I wake up feeling okay but within a few hours, I feel like I need a nap. I also have an amazing mattress so I know that's not the problem.

I'm a single mom and a new teacher. I've dealt with exhaustion and fatigue since I became a mother but with my new job, I'm so tired when I get home, I just want to sit and do nothing until bed time. 

When I'm at work, I'm ok. I drink an energy drink and I get through it because it's so fast paced, you don't have time to think about how you feel.

I drink coffee in the mornings and I abuse energy drinks and pills every day. I know this isn't good for me and I know that it's probably making the situation worse, I'm just so damn tired all the time and I struggle to get through the day. 

So I'm just wondering...how many of you have experienced something like this? I've heard that with proper diet and exercise, you shouldn't feel tired until late evening/before bed....do you think the same could be said for a single parent who works 50-70 hours a week?

*yawn*

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chris030406
by anonsneednotreply on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Vitamins and a little exercise would help.
12345abcde54321
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:08 AM

if you were consuming a lot of energy drinks and pills prior to vacation and you have since cut back, you are probably tired because your body is adjusting to that. any time i cut back on caffeine i'm exhausted for a few days.

another suggestion.. vitamins. i personally would sleep 10 hrs a day every day if it weren't for my multi and iron pill. i have absorption issues, so even though my diet is great it is not enough. i feel very awake when i've been taking my vitamins regularly.

also, water. chug chug chug  :)

momwriter
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I'm extremely tired, especially in fall/winter. It seems like I have some SAD (seasonal affective disorder) making me depressed/low energy in darker/colder months. I do take anti-depressants and just started adderall to try to alleviate the fatigue. The dr ran bloodwork and found nothing wrong. I recommend a physical and bloodwork. Is it possible that you have any depression b/c that can make you so tired?

Exercise and Vitamin B Complex  helps too.

that_girl_kk
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Quoting Chris030406: Vitamins and a little exercise would help.

Oops! I forgot to mention, I do take vitamins daily. Exercise, yes. I can't wait to start exercising again (fractured my ankle)

imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:09 AM
What are you doing in the mornings? Remember a body at rest stays at rest...so make sure youre exercising in the am.
that_girl_kk
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Quoting momwriter:

I'm extremely tired, especially in fall/winter. It seems like I have some SAD (seasonal affective disorder) making me depressed/low energy in darker/colder months. I do take anti-depressants and just started adderall to try to alleviate the fatigue. The dr ran bloodwork and found nothing wrong. I recommend a physical and bloodwork. Is it possible that you have any depression b/c that can make you so tired?

Yes, it's possible. I've suffered from anxiety and depression in the past. I've been better for about 2 years now. But my new job....my coworkers are hell bent on making me quit, I'll leave it at that. 

that_girl_kk
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Quoting imthatgirl0607: What are you doing in the mornings? Remember a body at rest stays at rest...so make sure youre exercising in the am.

The mornings are a crazy rush....but that doesn't mean I can't do something!

momwriter
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Oh, that kind of stress can drain you dry :( Sounds awful.

Quoting that_girl_kk:

Quoting momwriter:

Yes, it's possible. I've suffered from anxiety and depression in the past. I've been better for about 2 years now. But my new job....my coworkers are hell bent on making me quit, I'll leave it at that. 

LOVEZOEY
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:14 AM

"I know that it's probably making the situation worse"

You said it yourself.. your body is used to having that outside source of energy, and your just wearing yourself down. Some people just need more sleep than others.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:15 AM
I'm a first year teacher as well, and I'm pregnant. It is exhausting lol. I am starting to get in the groove and feel that I'm in a good place with my job, but I still am so tired when I come home. I think it's normal, the first year is the hardest everyone tells me. Only next year I will have an infant so not really sure how ill do my job on no sleep! I guess my second year will be my hardest.

Enjoy your break mama! Just think, we will have all summer off with our kids. Teaching is a great job and it's so rewarding once you get past the stress.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)