Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

excessive urination in my 1 year old

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
I tried googling a possible cause for excessive urination in my 20 month old, but didn't get any informative answers. I'm wondering if I should make him an appointment? He urinates excessively! Each time soaking his diaper. Sometimes I'm changing him literally every 10 minutes. He doesn't seem more thirsty than normal. He is a bigger boy.. I wouldn't say he's fat and my doctor isn't concerned with his weight.. He's tall and broad like his dad. He's sick a lot. He always has some sort of cold or ear infection. Diabetes has crossed my mind, but I don't know much about it to really make a guess.. Anyone? Should I make an appointment or am I being paranoid?
**Thank you ladies! I'm going to start recording his food/drink intake and record his diaper changes for this week until his appointment comes up. I really do appreciate the input.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Make an appointment.my four year old pees a lot but only sometimes.I have to limit how much he gets to drink.as far as diabetes, I have read somewhere that peeing a lot can be one symptom.call the dr.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Make an appointment with his pediatrician but also keep a food/drink journal & record the times of his intake & when he urinates.
conniejo75
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Yes that is one of the first symptoms.
Does urine smell sweet or fruity? That is a symptom of diabetes too. He could just have overactive bladder too. Best to do like another poster said, keep diary of food/drink and diaper changes. It's hard to gauge how much urine, but if he is soaking diaper and not just wet, then that often is a concern.

Quoting 0907: Make an appointment.my four year old pees a lot but only sometimes.I have to limit how much he gets to drink.as far as diabetes, I have read somewhere that peeing a lot can be one symptom.call the dr.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DeeMD82
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:34 AM

This, because my niece was peeing a lot at that age but she was also constantly drinking something.  Of course my brother and his wife aren't exactly great parents either.  She could have had an underlying cause for her to want to drink that much.

Quoting Anonymous: Make an appointment with his pediatrician but also keep a food/drink journal & record the times of his intake & when he urinates.

Missdameanor
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Schedule an appt for 10 days or so from now and keep a detailed record of all food and drinks on a time chart between now and then to show your doctor. Hopefully he just has some really healthy kidneys! Good luck!

strictmomhere
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Yes get him tested could be diabetes :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

This, this, this!!!

Quoting Missdameanor:

Schedule an appt for 10 days or so from now and keep a detailed record of all food and drinks on a time chart between now and then to show your doctor. Hopefully he just has some really healthy kidneys! Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Are you serious?  Of course you should make an appointment! That is a huge red flag fir diabetes.

xtwistedxlovex
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Antioxidant-rich foods can cause that. Berries, apples, grapes, and potatoes are some of the more common antioxidant-rich foods. Keep a diet and symptom log to help rule out dietary causes.
TrouserMouse
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:38 AM
It can be a sign of diabetes, but there is frequently also excessive thirst with diabetes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)