Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Childsupport and the military?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 100 Replies

Hey moms I have a question. My ex DH is an E4 in the USMC. We currently dont have a court order child support agreement but I honestly feel like im getting the fuck you button from him and im thinking about taking him to court to get the rightful amount of child support.  My question is would the courts go off of base pay and BAS and BAH? Or just his base pay?

Currently he is paying 250 a month for two kids (and will not help in anyway if I call and say hey the kids need clothes or whatever an im a little tight on money). He does keep primary insurance and I keep secondary but that is court ordered in our custody agreement.  I have been told numerous times im to nice and would be getting so much more but I dont want to screw him or his family in order to give to mine. 

I make 27,000 a year supporting 4 people. The only assistance we get is daycare assistance and money is becoming increasingly tight as the kids are 5 and 3 and constantly going through growth spirts. I have tried to be nice and I have tried to be civil but im putting myself and my family in between a rock and a hard place.  He informed me two weeks ago he was claiming one of the kids on his tax return. I told him he was not I am legal custodian and I have had them all but 1 month. He threatening to take me to court and get the kids for good. I laughed at that Ive had these two since they were born. Good luck dude. Anyways any insight would be most helpful

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DeeMD82
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:26 AM

My Boyfriend and his ex have a a custody agreement that she claims one kid and he claims one kid but when she went to do her taxes the tax person told her that she still gets to claim both of them because they both live with her full time.  He did get the child credit though just not the EIC.  

I have read on here before that they just go by base pay, but someone should come along and correct that if wrong.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:31 AM
It will be his base pay. BAS is for his food. And is he even receiving bah? You will get more than $250 if you go to court, but not much more because he is only am E4.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Hmm I wonder why they just go off of base pay when his BAS and BAH are included in his pay check.

Quoting DeeMD82:

My Boyfriend and his ex have a a custody agreement that she claims one kid and he claims one kid but when she went to do her taxes the tax person told her that she still gets to claim both of them because they both live with her full time.  He did get the child credit though just not the EIC.  

I have read on here before that they just go by base pay, but someone should come along and correct that if wrong.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Yes hes receiving BAH. 

Quoting Anonymous: It will be his base pay. BAS is for his food. And is he even receiving bah? You will get more than $250 if you go to court, but not much more because he is only am E4.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Its actually his entire income. Everything. And if he tried claiming one of your kids you just send in proof of residency and he can get in legal trouble. Also, as an e4 he's most likely not making a butt ton of money unless he lives somewhere where bah is a lot.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:36 AM
You are supporting four people?
leksismommy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Bump for you
lunyuny
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:37 AM
I would get a support order in place
CPatt0708
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
This exactly. I'm in the Navy, I work in ADMIN and see this happen all the time where the CO is notified of a Sailor (soldier, etc) not paying child support so I deal with it a lot. BAH and Bas will be included; however, for an E4 that's not much unfortunately

Quoting Anonymous: Its actually his entire income. Everything. And if he tried claiming one of your kids you just send in proof of residency and he can get in legal trouble. Also, as an e4 he's most likely not making a butt ton of money unless he lives somewhere where bah is a lot.
mandaschelle
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:40 AM

BAS is taken away when they deploy it is for the service member only.

I dont know about BAH since he shouldnt be getting any extra of that for dependents if they dont live with him at least 50% of the time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)