Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need help. MIL needs committed

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
Anyone ever had/have an adult taken into a psyc hold? Sil thinks mil is suicidal and needs committed but we dont know how to go about it.

Mil lives on her own. Is diabetic and depressive but doesn't manage either.

Sil and mil are in California. We are in Florida.

Sil has some good points, and I've been saying these for years to dh but it's been dismissed cause I'm not near her often enough.

Posting anon cause not sure if other family is on here.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Bump
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:01 AM

call senior service and ask for help. Maybe call the courthouse in town MIL lives in sorry never done it . Good luck I hope MIL gets the help she needs.

PPCLC
by AZ Lizard on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I would start with contacting her physician first, simply doing an FYI phone call and relay to them what you have here.

The depression and Diabetes alone does not indicate that she needs to be committed to a psych hold. Sadly, those two will sometimes go hand-in-hand but doesn't necessarily indicate a mental illness or need for involuntary hospitalization.

That she is suicidal, however, is a scream for help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Thanks. I'll let sil know.

Quoting PPCLC:

I would start with contacting her physician first, simply doing an FYI phone call and relay to them what you have here.

The depression and Diabetes alone does not indicate that she needs to be committed to a psych hold. Sadly, those two will sometimes go hand-in-hand but doesn't necessarily indicate a mental illness or need for involuntary hospitalization.

That she is suicidal, however, is a scream for help.

NikkiPitt0805
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I know here where I live, you can call the local police department, they will send someone out and talk to the person and when you call you inform them that they need to be taken in on a 48-hour psych hold for evaluation and they will go out talk to the person and then take them to the local hospital for evaluation and treatment.  We had to do this w/ my FIL.  Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Only a medical professional can make the decision to have someone committed against their will.  So she would have to go to an appointment.  Other than that, your hands are tied.

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:51 AM

call police non-emergency and tell them what you need....they should be able to help.

2kids2dogs2cats
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:54 AM

You will have to ask her to commit herself for observation, if she refuses then you can get a court order.  If she has threatened suicide to one of you, you can also call the police, and sometimes they will have the person put on a 48 hour hold.

The best bet would be to have someone convince her to go to the hospital where she can be evaluated on her own free will.

I have a good friend who had to just commit her mother, the mother lied and 48 hours was out, the police then found her trying to break into someone's house naked, so the law got involved and now she is on a 30 day hold.  So sorry, I know how painful this can be.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:58 AM

In CA, it's next to impossible if the person does not want mental health treatment.

You can call the police number, and ask for a well check.  If the person is in imminent danger, they will take them in on a 72 hour hold - but that is entirely up to the discretion of the officers involved, and quite frankly, many don't want to get involved in it.

Your best bet is for your sister in law to somehow talk your mil into adding her as a power of attorney for medical matters.  This way she can first of all, be privvy to medical conversations, talk with mil's doctors about her condition, and "theoretically" place her under a psych hold.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Sometime in the past 2 weeks mil has told sil that she refuses to treat her diabetes and depression because she wants to die.

In the next breath she admitly denies she has diabetes or depression, that the drs know nothing and she is heathy as a horse.

Do you think that would be enough?

I'll bring up the POA to sil. Mil is smart though. She would more than likely be very suspicious. Is worth a shot though.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

In CA, it's next to impossible if the person does not want mental health treatment.

You can call the police number, and ask for a well check.  If the person is in imminent danger, they will take them in on a 72 hour hold - but that is entirely up to the discretion of the officers involved, and quite frankly, many don't want to get involved in it.

Your best bet is for your sister in law to somehow talk your mil into adding her as a power of attorney for medical matters.  This way she can first of all, be privvy to medical conversations, talk with mil's doctors about her condition, and "theoretically" place her under a psych hold.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)