Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

see kids, showering is important. *shudder*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 114 Replies

My children have some distant relatives that we hardly ever see except at Christmas and this year the kids learned a lesson in how important it is to take care of your physical appearance. These kids(the relatives not my kids) do not shower but twice a week, they only change their underpinnings when they shower. Mama doesn't believe in deodorant for BO and she doesn't make her daughters wear panties unless they want to. There are 3 girls who are 12, 10 and 8 and the boys are 11 and 4. My oldest daughter pulled me aside and told me that the futon where the 12 yr old was sleeping smelled really bad and that nobody wanted to play in her room now.

I just--I'm shocked! The mother of these kids is my cousin on my moms side and we aren't exactly best friends but we are close. I don't want her kids to be made fun of but at the same time I don't know how to address this delicate situation.

To clear a few things up: They were here at MY house. The futon that they were using is our futon and it is in my daughters room. The futon now smells and unfortunately it does not have a removable cover to wash it in a machine. The mom is my favorite aunt's daughter so her children are my second cousins. I am super close to my Aunt Jane but not as close to Claudia (the mom) but my kids like spending time with them.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:25 AM

You could always try just minding your own business

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I just feel bad for them. They are my cousins afterall and I know how mean kids are at this age, I wouldnt want my kids being bullied or made fun of. Plus the entire not changing underpants thing really freaks me out.

lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I dont think there is anyway to talk about it without sounding offensive. Weight it out before you do ir you decide too.

momto3infl
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:38 AM

for the BO of course but my kids only wash 3x week unless sweaty  The other things with underwear can be a choice. 

Trying4onemore
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Just tell her your kids came to you saying to room smells bad that maybe she should check to see what's deity in it maybe someone spilled something on the bed 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:49 AM

It is still none of your business and not your place to say anything.  You are just going to look like a high and mighty bitch

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I just feel bad for them. They are my cousins afterall and I know how mean kids are at this age, I wouldnt want my kids being bullied or made fun of. Plus the entire not changing underpants thing really freaks me out.

babyspots17
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:57 AM

If the futon stinks and her room smells it is probably because the mother has never washed it.  If the kids are wearing underwear for multiple days that is gross but other then that not showering everyday is not going to make them smell horrible.   Unless they are going weeks at a time and swimming in mud holes and going on 20 mile hikes in between showers they are kids they are aren't going to smell horrible.    Deodorant has a ton of chemicals in them and can cause health issues and make BO worse so I can understand where the mom is coming from on that respect.  As far as how to bring up the issue of the stinky room or kids that is a hard topic and something that will probably cause an issue so good luck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:59 AM
3 moms liked this
It certainly is your business when they're funking up your home. Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Wait OP is this in your home, or theirs?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I think you should say something.   Wouldn't you want someone to tell you if you stunk?  I would.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)