Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Super swollen lymphoid in neck. Update

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM
  • 28 Replies
My boyfriends brother and grandpa had lymphoma.

Saturday morning he woke up and said babe I have to show you something his neck and lymphoid on the right side was super swollen. It was ds day with my ex so I took bf to the er. This isn't normal it looks like a lump the size of my fist is in his neck. I can see it just looking at him and it goes all the way down his neck.

The doc spent 30 seconds with him and said try antibiotics for 7 days 4 times a day and get lab work if it's not gone.

He has not been sick he has no tooth ache he has no pain other than obvious pressure.

We are trying to get him into see a doctor to get labs ASAP and are calling when tey open at 8.

Is there such a thing as maybe a painless inner ear infection that could cause this swelling? The doc didn't see any signs of an ear infection but maybe it's just super deep? What is another explanation for this? I'm worried because his brother found out (when he was ds age now) because all his lymphoid were swollen.

Any other information you can give like what to expect in the apt etc?

Update:
Just wanted to update you. We spent the last 3.5 hours getting ct tests and blood work. This doctor was super impressed with the size of the thing growing out of his neck. Bad news: a spider didn't lay eggs that hatched in his neck (that would've been bad ass). Good news: white blood count good and he somehow infected his neck gland. Wtf?! Never been so releaved in my life especially when they were arguing with radiation right outside our room :)

The strange thing? We dot know what kind of infection and it's bigger if you can even imagine today. Hoping the antibiotics kick in soon!

Update 2:
Week on antibiotics no change. Went back to his pcp yesterday and they switched up the antibiotics and will do a biopsy in 10 days after new antibiotics are done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.betty.white.
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Oh today is the 3rd day on antibiotics and no change in size if anything it's larger
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:03 AM

It could be the tooth is infected. Swollen lymphnodes are normally a sign of infection. I'd still get labs done though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Is it tender or painful? If so it's probably due to infection. If it isn't painful, that could be a sign something more sinister is causing it.
Stephd710
by Emerald Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Idk, mine swell up (although not that big) when i get sick with something as simple as a cold.  

.betty.white.
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:05 AM
He has just as good dental hygiene as me. Is it possible he can't feel the tooth infection? I'm talking zero pain and zero out of the ordinary.

Quoting Anonymous:

It could be the tooth is infected. Swollen lymphnodes are normally a sign of infection. I'd still get labs done though.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.betty.white.
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:06 AM
No he just says pressure which I can imagine because it's huge

Quoting Anonymous: Is it tender or painful? If so it's probably due to infection. If it isn't painful, that could be a sign something more sinister is causing it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelic.zombie
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Bump for more ppl.

I've never heard of them getting that big. Idk but I hope y'all figure it out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Sorry I thought it said "he had a tooth ache" Ahhh. But either way it could be tooth, throat, ear anything, not all infections are painful to some people. Its also a possibility that he has some sort of viral infection. I'd still get labs done. I'm dealing with something similar but my lymphnodes have been swollen for 3 months. And I still have NO answers. All my tests came back fine.

Quoting .betty.white.: He has just as good dental hygiene as me. Is it possible he can't feel the tooth infection? I'm talking zero pain and zero out of the ordinary.

Quoting Anonymous:

angelic.zombie
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Hey off the wall thought but maybe a cyst? Something like an ingrown hair or something can balloon up that big if it gets infected.
.betty.white.
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:09 AM
I'll also update. Fingers crossed it's an ear infection or something that's so deep he can't feel it.

Quoting angelic.zombie: Bump for more ppl.

I've never heard of them getting that big. Idk but I hope y'all figure it out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)