Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I change this?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:42 AM
  • 8 Replies
My youngest son is 4 years old. He's always been the clingiest of my 3 kids. He coslept until he turned one and then we moved him to his own bed (he shares a room with his big brother). He did really well and only came to our bed if he was sick or had a nightmare (at which point I let him stay like I would for all of my kids). Suddenly, for the past month or so he's been going to sleep just fine and then making his way to my bed at some point in the night after me and my husband are sound asleep. I don't even realize he's there until I wake up in the morning and see him. I've talked to him about it and he says he doesn't know why he does it and doesn't remember doing it. He thinks he's sleep walking. If I'm honest, it doesn't bother me too badly, but I do want to teach him to stay in his own bed. It does bother my husband though and he says he can't get comfortable with him in there. He almost acts upset with me for "allowing" it to happen. I don't know how to stop it. Do you have any suggestions?
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:44 AM
It may just be a stage...ds did this for about a year every once in awhile. He never coslept or slept in bed with us at all. Some nights he would just wander in. He told me it would be because he was lonely or had a bad dream. He stopped a few months ago and just turned 6.
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:46 AM

My "extra" kids were pulling the same stuff with their parents for a while pretty much just because they could get away with it if they waited until mom and dad were asleep and too groggy to do much about it.

They finally gated their rooms so they couldn't do that anymore and they stopped, then the gates came down eventually.

Stephd710
by Emerald Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I would gate his room.  I did that for my twins so they couldnt get out and wander the house at night if i didnt hear them get up.  

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Well, I wouldn't mind just waiting until the phase is worn off, but my husband is getting upset about it and telling me that I need to figure out a way to make him stop because he can't sleep comfortably with him in there.

Quoting Anonymous: It may just be a stage...ds did this for about a year every once in awhile. He never coslept or slept in bed with us at all. Some nights he would just wander in. He told me it would be because he was lonely or had a bad dream. He stopped a few months ago and just turned 6.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Why is it only your responsibility to figure something out?

Anyway, maybe do like others said and get a gate? Ds never got in bed with us, would just lay on the floor or in our closet for some reason lol the kid probably doesn't even realize he's doing it, ya know.

Quoting DevinAnnesmom: Well, I wouldn't mind just waiting until the phase is worn off, but my husband is getting upset about it and telling me that I need to figure out a way to make him stop because he can't sleep comfortably with him in there.

Quoting Anonymous: It may just be a stage...ds did this for about a year every once in awhile. He never coslept or slept in bed with us at all. Some nights he would just wander in. He told me it would be because he was lonely or had a bad dream. He stopped a few months ago and just turned 6.
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:53 AM
I thought about that, but I worry about there being a fire or something and him not being able to get out.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

My "extra" kids were pulling the same stuff with their parents for a while pretty much just because they could get away with it if they waited until mom and dad were asleep and too groggy to do much about it.

They finally gated their rooms so they couldn't do that anymore and they stopped, then the gates came down eventually.

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:57 AM
I guess just because I'm a sahm and things with the kids have always been my responsibility.

Lol in the closet. That couldn't have been comfortable.

Quoting Anonymous: Why is it only your responsibility to figure something out?

Anyway, maybe do like others said and get a gate? Ds never got in bed with us, would just lay on the floor or in our closet for some reason lol the kid probably doesn't even realize he's doing it, ya know.

Quoting DevinAnnesmom: Well, I wouldn't mind just waiting until the phase is worn off, but my husband is getting upset about it and telling me that I need to figure out a way to make him stop because he can't sleep comfortably with him in there.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this
It's a decent sized closet and I used to have a spare comforter folded on the floor in there so he would just plop down on that and make it a little bed, was pretty damn comfy lol

But I would try the gate idea, good luck!

Quoting DevinAnnesmom: I guess just because I'm a sahm and things with the kids have always been my responsibility.

Lol in the closet. That couldn't have been comfortable.

Quoting Anonymous: Why is it only your responsibility to figure something out?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)