Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CM nurses...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies

How does your schedule affects your family, holidays, etc?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Malayahsmom06
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I work in a clinic that is in a hospital Monday-Friday 8-5. We are closed for New Years day, 4th of July, Thanksgiving and the day after, Christmas eve and Christmas day. The only time I really have issues is when the kids have class parties, etc. It can be difficult to find coverage. I love my work arrangement though, if I want extra hours I can work in the inpatient area of the hospital, but I am not required to. Win win situation :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Quoting Malayahsmom06:

I work in a clinic that is in a hospital Monday-Friday 8-5. We are closed for New Years day, 4th of July, Thanksgiving and the day after, Christmas eve and Christmas day. The only time I really have issues is when the kids have class parties, etc. It can be difficult to find coverage. I love my work arrangement though, if I want extra hours I can work in the inpatient area of the hospital, but I am not required to. Win win situation :)

oh nice, i am trying to figure out what to do and i want to do nursing but i just dont want to work a lot and not see my kids you know?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:57 PM

BUMP!

elfling811
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:59 PM
I am disabled now and cannot work, however when I was still working I worked every holiday until I entered my director of nursing position. So, roughly 15 years of working every holiday. Even then, management would split up holidays so I didn't get all of them off.
Malayahsmom06
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Would you do LVP/LPN, RN, or BSN?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Malayahsmom06:

oh nice, i am trying to figure out what to do and i want to do nursing but i just dont want to work a lot and not see my kids you know?

Fistandantalus
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I'm a charge nurse at a long-term care facility.  I work Fridays and Sundays, 6am until 10pm.  If I happen to be scheduled for a holiday, I really don't mind too much since I get time and a half for holiday pay.  We get our schedules for the whole month in advance, and trading shifts is permitted as long as the two people put their trades in writing and submit them to the Director Of Nursing in advance. 

My schedule allows me to be there for my three kids most of the week.  Monday is my "off day" meaning that I'm not expected to do jack nor crap on Mondays unless one of the older kids has an activity that day.  

Nursing is a great profession, by the way.  The world needs more dedicated nurses.

emt088
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:15 PM
I don't mind working some holidays (whichever I'm in rotation for) we just adjust our holidays around work. No big deal. Plus the pay rocks
sara82lee
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:18 PM
My mother always volunteered for every holiday. She was all about the extra money :( To be honest, holidays were more pleasant without her around. She was an RN. She did tell me they try to keep census low for holidays so that they don't need as much staff.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:22 PM

My DH is a doctor and our offices are closed this year from December 23-January 6th, 2014 when school is back in session and we always give them the option to be off over spring break as well and if they are we just get temp nurses in for the week, and of course we are closed Memorial Day, 4th of July,  Labor Day and the week of Thanksgiving.  And the nurses and staff also only work half days on Friday's because DH does not do appointments on Fridays.  All but 2 of our nurses and staff have been with us for 5+ years.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:47 PM
You guys are able to live comfortably?

Quoting emt088: I don't mind working some holidays (whichever I'm in rotation for) we just adjust our holidays around work. No big deal. Plus the pay rocks
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)