• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question, who was wrong? long

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:29 PM
  • 19 Replies
So, little background. We're from Florida, but live in south Carolina, for Christmas my parents and little sister come up, my sister is 18.
Ok, so on Christmas eve my mom was talking to me about the presents that her and my dad got for the kids, my sister was behind us, across the room. Well she apparently was trying to talk to us but we didn't hear her. We get done talking and our mom looks over at her and said what's wrong? Because she was pouting (arms crossed, head in the air everything). She says nothing, nothing. My mom says are you sure? She starts yelling, no you were talking about the presents I got for the kids (my 2 kids) and you didn't even listen to what I had to say! We had no idea she was even talking, she was on the other side of the room.
She keeps on pouting. Dinner gets done, we all eat, then she asks me if she can go to Wal-Mart and get the kids her own presents that our mom can't dictate. I just rolled my eyes and said whatever. We were just getting ready to do cookies and write to Santa, but whatever. So our dad said he's not comfortable with her going alone. So our mom says she'll go. They get in the car and the first thing my sister says to our mom is "I'm not going to sit here and listen to you yell at me, I'm an adult and can do what I want." So she turned the car around and said you're not going anywhere. They come back in screaming at each other.
So, after that, they both go their separate ways and calm down. Everything was fine, uncomfortable, but fine. I told our mom I was pissed the got in a fight because it was Christmas and my husband is only home every other year and he deploys again in a few weeks. My mom apologized. Today I talked to my sister for the first time since and said I was disappointed that she would do that on Christmas like that, and she got pissed and said that she's an adult and deserves to be hard just as much as me and mom did and of course she was pissed because we ignored her. I told her we did not ignore her, we couldn't hear her, she said it was a bunch of bull shit and she didn't believe me and we were treating her like a child. Then she said she's tired of the whole Damn family and she's moving to new Mexico with her boyfriend (of a month) because she hates us all.
Sorry it's so so long, but was I wrong for wanting an apology?
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
destiny3513
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

She is immature. Why can't she go to the store alone? Sounds like she's being treated like a child so acting like one doesn't surprise me.

KrissyKC
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Hmmmm teenagers. She was way out of line, but she is being treated like a child. I can't imagine my dad telling me I couldn't go to walmart alone at 18. I think she is immature but not the only one ti blame.

Also if any other adult were in the room that day, would you have made a better effort to be polite and include them in conversations.

Just giving some food for thought. I think several people behaved poorly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Why didn't you just let it go? I really don't see what you were trying to accomplish by bringing it up again. And she has a point about being treated like a child, why couldn't she go to the store by herself?
Ethansmommy1987
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Wal-Mart in my area is not a place you want to be at alone at night

Quoting destiny3513:

She is immature. Why can't she go to the store alone? Sounds like she's being treated like a child so acting like one doesn't surprise me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:36 PM

bunch of pointless bitching and mouthing off from everyone... girl, let it go...

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Sister should have spoken up or better yet moved closer to where y'all were sitting IF she wanted to be included in the conversation.

Next time she acts like a child, put her in time out until she can behave respectfully in  YOUR  HOME

Ethansmommy1987
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:39 PM
There were several other adults not included in the conversation. My husband said he also tried to talk and we didn't hear him either. The only reason she couldn't go alone was because it's a bad place to go alone at night.

Quoting KrissyKC: Hmmmm teenagers. She was way out of line, but she is being treated like a child. I can't imagine my dad telling me I couldn't go to walmart alone at 18. I think she is immature but not the only one ti blame.

Also if any other adult were in the room that day, would you have made a better effort to be polite and include them in conversations.

Just giving some food for thought. I think several people behaved poorly.
luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:40 PM
You wanted an apology from an 18 year old?

Her feelings were hurt, were they logical? No, but at that age it's all about them.

Ethansmommy1987
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:40 PM
I didn't let it go because if I let it go she'll do it every time she comes here.

Quoting Anonymous: Why didn't you just let it go? I really don't see what you were trying to accomplish by bringing it up again. And she has a point about being treated like a child, why couldn't she go to the store by herself?
chendren1
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Tell her New Mexico sucks. I know I live here lol. And maybe you both need to apologize to each other. Yes I think she was in the wrong but she also felt wronged by you and your mom. It might not be something you understand but she obviously needs the reassurance too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)