Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Punishment for mouthy 12 year old. My mom says it's cruel? UPDATE

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 763 Replies
143 moms liked this
So my oldest child is 12. I'm tired of him being mouthy with DH and I and having something to sass back every time I tell him to do anything. It's never okay or yes mom. It's always a whine or a protest.

I talked to DH and he's on board with this "punishment" I've come up with, but I actually think of it more as a lesson. He has ONE chore a day, yet always whines that he has to do too much and yesterday, had the nerve to say he does more than me. II've absolutely had it, so here's what I've decided to do.

I clean residential homes for a living and work for myself. I have decided to take my 12 year old with me to work tomorrow all day since there's no school still and have him work his butt off helping me clean for a full day with mopping, dusting, scrubbing bathrooms, cleaning windows, etc, and then I'm going to have him come home and cook dinner from scratch (with supervision), fold laundry and do all the stuff I do in.a daily basis before he gets to sit down and relax and then ask him if one chore a day is really so bad and if he really thinks he does as much as me.

My mom thinks this is cruel but DH is with me on it. Thoughts?

Update: The day was long and yes he did complain some, but it didn't go as bad as I thought! The first hour was not good. He was purposely slacking and pouting and not putting in hardly any effort but after he realized we WOULD be staying until the work was done, he got going because he wanted it to be over with. We showed up at 10 and didn't leave until 4:30. It's a home I only do biweekly so there's a lot to do when I go. I told him we would be done by 4 but when it took until 4:30, I explained that that's life and maybe if he hadn't slacked off in the morning, we would have got more done.

I did give him a 30 min lunch break and praised him for his efforts. He was wiped out! I had him vacuum the whole 3 level, 3500 sq ft house, under tables, around corners and all that and it took him two straight hours. He was sweating, lol. I told him that was just the beginning. When we got home, I had him chop up potatoes and thaw put chicken and get it all assembled in the casserole dish. All I did was place it in the oven. I sat on the couch within eyesight of him preparing dinner while I watched TV and he said it wasn't fair that he was doing it all I got to watch TV and I said that was EXACTLY my point!!! Finally he got it! I told him every day after all my work, I come home and cook and clean while he does one measly chore and gets to play Xbox or hangout with friends and that's how I feel every day!

I then made him fold laundry while it baked, set the table and feed the dog. We ate and then I had him wipe the table and he's finally relaxing and looking like he's gonna fall asleep!

I plan to have another talk with him before bed and make sure this was a lesson to him. I'm planning on adding a chore or two per day for him and will tell him he's welcome to trade places with me if he wants to whine. I also owe him a hig and a kiss for trying as hard as he did.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aamy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:04 PM
90 moms liked this
Love it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Sounds good to me.
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:06 PM
8 moms liked this
He'd have received a lot more than that a long time ago from me and my husband with a fresh mouth like that. Maybe you should tell your mom that for comparison.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lunyuny
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Sounds good to me :)
NVL0707
by Mi Vida Loca on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I think that is a great punishment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamasaurusRex
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:07 PM
12 moms liked this
Reality can be a quick teacher. I think it's a good idea.
Rebecca7708
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:07 PM
11 moms liked this
Perfect! Let us know how it goes, please?
Bethsunshine
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Nothing wrong with that! ! I think it is a great idea!
Superlaura328
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:08 PM
3 moms liked this

That's not cruel at all, and it will surely teach him a lesson!

AngryBob
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:08 PM
19 moms liked this
Unless your mom is raising him, she has no say.
Bet he stops his sass mouth for a LONG time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)