Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my dad is remarrying and nobody is happy

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies

Long story short in June of 2013 my mother passed away very unexpectedly due to an allergic reaction to a medication that her doctor placed her on. My dad was heartbroken, they were married for 37 years and he often told us that she was his heart and soul. I only have one sibling, my sister who is two years younger than I am but I am very close to my numerous nieces and nephews all of who are very close in age to me. In July (a month later) we gathered to celebrate my niece Jamie's 30th birthday. My dad shows up with this lady and introduces her as his girlfriend, everyone kind of just stood there in shock. She is young, my dad is 68 (sorry it originally said 63 but my mom was 63. Dad is 68) and she turned 25 in March (she is younger than me by five years) . I know its not my business, not my relationship but he's still my dad and I want to look our for his well being. Something about her rubs me the wrong way but I can't place my finger on it. She seems nice enough to my dad but every time my sister or I try to strike up a conversation with her she is just so fake it kills me. My nephew, Austin, said to me that she was so fake you could probably find her name on a fast food menu.

Dad told me that they plan on getting married in February, it wont even be a full year since mom passed. Most of my nieces & nephews have told me and Lacey (my sister) that they will not be there because they just don't support this choice and they don't like her. I will be there but I won't be happy.

Would you be uncomfortable in this situation? Again, I fully realize this is not my relationship and I should MYOB but I can't help but want to watch out for my dads best interest and I feel like she's hiding something or isn't being 100% truthful. Something about her seems off and my gut is hardly ever wrong.

Sorry for the confusion. My neices & nephews are a product of my half-siblings. My dad was married when he was 16 to 19 to a woman he had two sons with. I was never rasied with those two sons, we never lived together and I am much closer to their children than I am to them. My oldest half-brother turned 50 this year

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:51 PM
5 moms liked this
How are your nieces and nephews close to you in age if your sister is two years younger than you?

Do you mean cousins?
AZHOTMOM
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I would support him, even if inside I was screaming.

Can you imagine life without your partner of 37 years? It must be horrible. I understand it was your mom, but she was his life. The fear of being alone will drive people to do crazy things.

JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I totally can understand how you feel.

I suggest that you mention one time and one time only your concern, whether it be that he is being used for money, that he moved too fast, etc. After that, support him. It will allow you to say what you have to say, get him to think about your concerns and that's it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM

everyone handles grief differently, however with this age difference I would watch his bank account and think of hiring a PI 

sorry about your mom

charleyangel317
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM

So you and your sister take her aside and have some "time" with her and tell her how you feel and tell her you want to be happy but need to know she is true.

Loveavision
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Creepy..
thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Is your father wealthy?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Supervane
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:54 PM
I don't understand those I won't go to a wedding in protest... Not attending a wedding isn't going to change anyone's mind or make anyone realize anything they don't already know
Momniscient
by Emerald Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:55 PM
He is a grown man. He is obviously sad and rebounding but you can't protect him from himself, even if you think he needs it.

What would I do? I'd support him.
mab05
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:55 PM
That's weird. ...

I also wonder about the niece nephew thing....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)