• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am keeping my girls away from their grandfather!!!!

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:13 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am starting to wonder if they need to see him.  Long story short, we lived with my FIL for a short period.  My husband got into an arguement with FIL's GF about her 11 year old daughter cleaning up after herself.  FIL ended up punching DH in the face and breaking his nose and giving him a black eye.  DH filed charges and FIL got assault charges and probation.  That was August of 2012.  Our 4 year old still remembers what happened but doesn't really talk about it and we told her when she asked after that he was on vacation.  Well she started asking about him the other day and I am starting to wonder if we shouldn't let her see him.  He hasn't even seen our 5 month old.  DH is waiting for an apology but I feel like he should see his granddaughters :(  

PS...I read posts on here all the time about parents physically fighting with their families and think what trash...but I want to clarify that is not our family or how we were raised.  Both were raised middle class and do ok for ourselves now...he just has an alcoholic father who chose his GF over his son and granddaughters.  Not sure if that really mattered but wanted to add anyway!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
missmeli77
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:17 PM
If he is an alcoholic why do you want your kids around him??? He is apparently a violent drunk... If he stopped drinking then he should see him.....
KrissyKC
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:21 PM
You we're in their home. Problems could havr been averted if your dh knew that fils gfs kid was not his place to complain about.

However the physical fight was stupid and low class.

I'd keep my distance but remember my manners better in someone else home.
melissaaytes
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Well they were her regular chores to begin with.  We haven't seen him in a year and a half and GF and her daughter are now gone.

Quoting KrissyKC: You we're in their home. Problems could havr been averted if your dh knew that fils gfs kid was not his place to complain about.

However the physical fight was stupid and low class.

I'd keep my distance but remember my manners better in someone else home.

CafeMom Tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:44 PM
I'd let him see the kids if it were me. But then again, I'm the type to never give up on family. That's what unconditional love is all about.
melissaaytes
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:48 PM

We haven't given up.  I haven't really said anything to DH on the topic...his dad his choice.  I did send FIL a newborn picture of 5 month old with her big sis.  I think DH is still just really hurt by what happened and waiting for an apology!

Quoting Anonymous: I'd let him see the kids if it were me. But then again, I'm the type to never give up on family. That's what unconditional love is all about.

CafeMom Tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:57 PM
You're right. He does deserve an apology from him. But... We can't always make others do what they should do. I'm glad you haven't given up on him. Maybe your daughter could have contact with him thru phone calls or something for now? At least until things are resolved. I hope things work out for all of you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Oops! Forgot to quote you when I responded.

Quoting melissaaytes:

We haven't given up.  I haven't really said anything to DH on the topic...his dad his choice.  I did send FIL a newborn picture of 5 month old with her big sis.  I think DH is still just really hurt by what happened and waiting for an apology!

Quoting Anonymous: I'd let him see the kids if it were me. But then again, I'm the type to never give up on family. That's what unconditional love is all about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)