• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ever been to premarital counseling?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:26 PM
  • 17 Replies
So, have you? SO and I are getting married in May. It's important that we get married by our pastor in the church. My first wedding was at the court house and no family attended, knew about the wedding for 2 years, or approved.

Everything is so much different this time around. To get my small church wedding by our pastor, we have to complete premarital counseling. Did it help you?
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtolittleg
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Yes, with my exDH at his church. It worked really well... not. 

Raeann11
by Emerald Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Nope, we also did not get married in a church. We got married at my parents place by the justice of the peace.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Yes, we did and yes, it was very helpful.

slm047
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:34 PM
I didn't expect it to help in every situation. My exh and I went to counseling after being married and it didn't help.

Quoting momtolittleg:

Yes, with my exDH at his church. It worked really well... not. 

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Yes, the Catholic Church required it.  It wasn't very helpful.  Our own ability to talk to each other and our maturity was most helpful. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:37 PM

This is my 3rd marriage (and last) and since a pastor was marrying us (plus its cheaper to get the marriage license if you have it done) -- we got it done and it has helped because she is a friend of my husband's family and she will talk to either one of us or both in the future if we need it :)

mom4awesomekids
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:38 PM
No we didn't.
tattedmommi
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Yes, we actually went really sour right before hand and it saved us
OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:40 PM

LOL We did premarital counseling when we had been married about 12 years.  We were married by the JOP and DH wanted to get right with the Catholic Church.  In order to do so, we had to have premarital counseling.

It was interesting.  Even after 12 years, it was nice to have someone to chat with about and remind ourselves again where we were on a certain subjects.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Nope! We did not. DH and I are happily, blissfully, madly in love and have been married for 21 years!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)