• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can someone please explain to me why when you adopt you have to take classes

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

and do all these tedious thing. But when you have your own kid you don't?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Because whoever is in care of the child you intend to adopt is responsible for who they give the child to.  If the child comes out of your womb, you are totally responsible for him/her. 

LyTe684
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Because they can't control one's uterus. They can however require whatever they want when THEY are responsible for giving you your child.
tifbrown
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:11 PM

My aunt and uncle did 2 adoptions and never had to do any classes. Yes, there was of course a process to go through, but no classes. This was also 15 and 13 years ago, and in Canada. 

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:13 PM
The classes are necessary as raising an adopted child is not the same as a bio child. They are not clean slates even as infants and grieve their loss. A-parents need to know how to help their children navigate their feelings of loss.
Bio children do not have the same issues that adopted children have.
I am an adoptive mother as well as have a bio child.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:13 PM
I didn't have to take any classes to adopt. The only classes I took were for a foster care license and that was well after my dd's adoption was finalized.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Because they want to make sure you know what types of issues you will face.  We adopted black children and had to take classes on interracial adoption.  I'm glad we did - I was more prepared for the questions my kids asked.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I had too take a 'class' before the hospital allowed me to come home with my newborns.

firefly
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:33 PM

The classes probably also give the parents guidance/advice on how to handle certain issues that may not come up when the child is biologically theirs.

maureen813
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:29 PM
As a clinical therapist working with children, I have been asking this question for nearly twenty eight years,
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)