• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm really getting sick of it!! SO needs a new career plan

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

SO decided in 2010 to start up a auto-detail shop. At the time, he was working for a Masonry company, and was laid off. I had not found work at that point.

We had 2 young children, and he has a daughter from a previous marriage.

Well, he found a building to rent for $500 a month, internet and water was included. The building was sufficient to start the business. He began doing sub-contracted labor for some companies where he knows the owner. That is how he was able to get enough money to start this detail shop and still pay the bills.

I have helped him from the beginning. Whether it was doing the odds and ends work with him to make money, or actually running the shop with him or for him while he did other work.

I was the office manager, and I worked in the bays. 

About 1 year into this business, he was really picking up, it was nice. But the problem with auto detailing, you can't charge a lot to clean a car (we offered several different packages as well), or you lose interested customers. In order to clean a car (depending on the package the customer selects), it can take anywhere from 1 hour up to 2 days. It just depends on the size of the vehicle, what package was selected and how bad the vehicle is.

After the first year, his sub-contracting work slowed down MAJORLY. It was becoming impossible to actually make money off this detail shop to bring home for billls at home. So I went and got a full time job. And I helped at the shop when I wasn't working my job. 

SO couldn't keep up with the work, so he had no choice but to hire in help. We paid the help on a commission. It's not the best pay considering the time it takes to detail a vehicle, but we found people interested in taking what we could offer.

Then, mid 2012, SO decides to start running paint and body through the shop. Well, to do this, he had to build a paint booth that was up to code, and have it inspected, and all that stuff. Nearly $5000 later, he's able to legally run work through the paint and body. His income does jump more, because paint and body jobs sell for a whole lot more than a detail job. 

But now his problem is, he's paying out labor for the body work, he's got more bills to cover, more material prices, and insurance is higher. 

It's just freaking ridiculous. He told me after 3 years, if he wasn't making enough money through the shop to pay all the bills there AND pay the bills at home e (well help me pay them anyway), then he'd give up the shop and go back to working for an actual employer. 

Here we are, going into the 4th year, and I'm finishing up his paperwork for taxes, and for all of 2013, he only made $33,000. It shows he had $22,000 in expenses and that's not including the labor he paid out.

How is that possible? Well, he brought ABSOLUTELY NOTHING home to help with the family and bills at home. NOTHING. 

He did do some contracted work out of the shop over the summer, but that went to help pay bills at his shop.

I kid you not.

I'm sick of it. Every single year, this is what his tax return looks like. Last year, he managed to show an "income" of $13,000 after expenses... so why is this year lower? And of course, that wasn't including the paid labor. 

Another thing, he goes through the hired help ridiculously fast. He will have 2 or 3 people in the shop working for him, and a month later, they quit, and he hires new people. I don't blame any ot hthem for quitting. It's not worth the pay to be there. He does do a lot of the work on his own too, but he just can't keep up with it all. He pulls in 40 to 60 hours a week and brings home NOTHING. So, it's not that he's not doing the work himself. Believe me, if he could get all the work done by himself without having help, he'd do it. He'd at least make a little money anyway. 

I'm just tired of it all. Over the 3+ years, we have dropped $80,000 into this business, and we have gotten nothing in return to show for it. He did build a good reputation, and he does have repeat customers... granted. But MY only concern is my family. I want to be able to relax about work and bills. I can pay the bills at home just fine without him, but if something happens to me, and I am unable to work, then what? How will our bills get paid?

I have talked to him OVER AND OVER AND OVER again over this. He always says "well, I'll figure something out" or "I'll get a 2nd or 3rd shift job".. And what good will that do? You work up to 60 hours a week (sometimes more), how do you expect to have time to work anywhere else and still be able to see your family or even SLEEP?!?! 

But he's got too much pride on this business. He won't let it go. He could sell everything he owns and make at least $10,000 off of it. Or so I'd hope. 

I was raised that no matter what, family comes first. Even if you have to work the shittiest job in the world to take care of your family, that's what you do. Obviously he wasn't raised on those same beliefs. 

Oh and on top of all this, I am 5 months pregnant, I am high risk, and my employer thought he'd be so cool and drop me down from full time. I now get 20 to 40 hours a week. Each week varies. And I don't get benefits ANYMORE. So when I go on maternity leave, there will be NO INCOME. 

Luckily, I am very good at money management, and I have some in savings. And if everything turns out as planned, by the time I take maternity leave, I will have around $3000 in my account to use for bills and what not. But that's still not fair to me. 

I have had his back every step of the way, and way back when, before i had an actual job, I was there helping him make the income... and if I wasn't able to help him, I was taking care of all of our children, including his daughter. As well as taking care of the home and running errands. 

Heck, we don't even qualify for any assistance. You won't believe how hard it is to put food on the table some weeks... :(

I'm exhausted, I'm stressed, and I'm over it. 

I just wish he'd pull his head out of his ass and give it up already. I can think of plenty of jobs he could be working at right now and making at least $400 a week... which would help me out CONSIDERABLY. Hell, $400 a week is a shit load better than NOTHING. 

And and now he can't drive his truck because the brakes went completely out and he needs a new battery. So guess who's car he's driving around? Yep, the one I am paying for... MINE. I would give him the money to fix his truck so he can at least drive it, but why should I? I work hard for my money, and I already take care of his ass. He should come up with that money on his own. I'm hoping he'll finally realize that he's got no choice but to get a job. 

If he loses the shop and sells his stuff, he will be saving us around $1000 a month at least in expenses. Makes sense to me to just suck it up and work a job like the rest of us. ugh.

I don't get the pleasure doing what I actually wanted to do with my life. I have always wanted to travel and what not, but I made choices that caused me to sacrifice my dreams and ambitions... It's just not fair he doesn't have to make sacrifices for our family like I do. And yes I have told him this too. 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:11 PM

crap that was LONG. Sorry!! If you read it all, thank you! And I just really need to vent, like badly!

Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:12 PM

too long to read dude.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Well that sounds frustrating. I need my car detailed. Are you near Yuma AZ by chance?

DiANAiVELiSSE
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:15 PM

sorry.. it was long .. didn't read it all- didn't want to really

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:16 PM
I'm a businesses consultant and I tell my clients years 3-5 of a we business are the hardest because you've put out money and taken on a lot of expenses but aren't seeing the return yet. I typically advise not to buy houses, cars, or have children during that time period because it is extremely stressful. I recommend talking to an accountant because your P&L is NOT his take home unless you are looking at cash draws. Feel free to PM me if you have accounting questions.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:16 PM

LMAO, I really dont expect anyone to read all of it. I am just one a roll right now! And thank you if you did! lol! 

And no, We're over here in Indiana. haha. 

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Well that sounds frustrating. I need my car detailed. Are you near Yuma AZ by chance?

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Bummer! I really need it done LOL

Quoting Anonymous:

LMAO, I really dont expect anyone to read all of it. I am just one a roll right now! And thank you if you did! lol! 

And no, We're over here in Indiana. haha. 

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Thank you for your help! :) 

I might take you up on that offer sometime!

Quoting quickbooksworm: I'm a businesses consultant and I tell my clients years 3-5 of a we business are the hardest because you've put out money and taken on a lot of expenses but aren't seeing the return yet. I typically advise not to buy houses, cars, or have children during that time period because it is extremely stressful. I recommend talking to an accountant because your P&L is NOT his take home unless you are looking at cash draws. Feel free to PM me if you have accounting questions.

WILLIAMSMOMMY11
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:23 PM
I read it all because I can relate my husband used to detail cars but now he's a cab driver I hope things start looking up
KenneMaw
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Would he consider getting a business partner and sell part of the business?   Could you talk to your bank, local university, etc...to see if they have any small business advisors?  In our area, they  have business 'incubators' where professionals help new entreprenuers.   My thought is that maybe your DH needs to hear the financial news from someone other than you.  No disrepect to you, but sometiems men can look at the wives as just that - wives.   I think if he talks man to man and that man can put down everything on paper -whether to keep trying, to sell or get a partner, etc....he may actually "hear" it.  He needs a road map for this business or it will be the death of your relationship and possibly him if he is working so many hours.  A body needs down time.

Good luck with the baby.  I was high risk too :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)