• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what kind of MANNERS do you raise your child(ren) to have?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies

do you raise them to always say 'please' and 'thank you'? do you raise them to refer to people as 'sir' and 'ma'am?' .....(yes, sir. yes, ma'am)

do you teach your children they are to eat what is in-front of them at the table at home, whether they like it or not? what about at a friends/relatives house?

what other manners are/are not important to you and your family?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:36 PM

They are to say please and thank you. I do not teach sir and ma'am for I CRINGE if someone says that to me.

They have to eat a good amount of their meal, but I do not require they finish it completely. Hell, half the time I don't finsh dinner. I get full easily.

They should make eye contact when speaking to another, and follow the rules at school or in another's home.

Malayahsmom06
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Please, thank you, yes sir, yes mam, and not talking with food in their mouth. Also, not interrupting adults when they are speaking unless its an emergency. Not making a bunch of noise during church is important too.

AnHpuresugar
by Emerald Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:38 PM
2 moms liked this
The usual manners. They are not required to use sir or ma'am. I find it servile and distinctly southern. They hold doors open and ask to be excused from the table. They use please and thank you and show appreciation for gifts. They are asked to at least try everything put in front of them for dinner and do not get special meals made if they choose not to eat.

All of it is the every day, normal manners that most people use.

They are also kids and mess up now and again.
imakehimscream
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:38 PM
This

Quoting Malayahsmom06:

Please, thank you, yes sir, yes mam, and not talking with food in their mouth. Also, not interrupting adults when they are speaking unless its an emergency. Not making a bunch of noise during church is important too.

Arwyn724
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Yes to all your statements. My kids are grown, and the oldest is teaching her kids the same way.

Also, ultimate respect for their elders, always.  There is never a time or place for rudeness.

ZombieMeat
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I prefer please and Thank You.

Yes, I prefer sir or ma'am.

No, I do not force my kid to eat.

I also teach my child to share, to be respectful of others, to keep her hands and feet to herself, to not act like a heathen in public and to just basically be a decent person.

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:39 PM

My kids know their Ps and Qs and they refer to people much older than them as sir and ma'am. 

As for the food thing. They don't have to. I just make sure they know how to excuse themselves from the table politely. 

Crashly
by Ashley on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Please/thank you
Eat the food given to you, no substitutions.
In public she behaves appropriately or she gets a warning, after a warning i get pretty serious.

We don't do sir/mam as I hate it. I don't know anyone who actually uses those titles when addressing someone.

She also cleans up her area after eating at our home and when we are guests somewhere. Pretty soon she will start learning dishes so she can help me if we are a guest somewhere.

Pretty much I'm trying to teach her how to be polite and well behaved at all times.
ArmyWife112908
by Mrs.Crane on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:42 PM
DS has to say may i please or will you please. He says thank you and your welcome and bless you. He is to hold doors open for ladies and be polite at all times. He doesn't have to eat everything on his plate but he does have to try everything. He can't leave the table until everyone is done eating and he had to ask to leave. He does say sir and ma'am but my brother taught him that. Temper tantrums are a huge no no especially in public. Overall he's a very well behaved 5 year old.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:45 PM

"Please, Thank you, No thank you but thank you for offering." My boys open doors for others, and always for a female. Never do I expect them to say "Yes Sir or "Yes Ma'am!" Those terms drive me NUTS! They do say, "Yes Mr. so and so or "Yes Mrs. So and so." A lot of times, the person will say, "Just call me by my first name." Which of course, is fine by my DH and I if that is what they prefer to be called.

My oldest DS whose 20, is constantly at the grocery store helping elderly ppl put their groceries in their cars for them! Its funny too, b/c these ppl don't know my son, and think he's up to no good at first. He is clean-cut, very handsome and sweet as can be! They ask him why he's helping them. He explains that he's an Eagle Scout and enjoys helping others! They always thank him and tell him his mom and dad raised him right! That always makes me feel good when my son comes home and tells me that someone said this to him! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)