Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age did you have "The Talk" with your kids?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:49 PM
  • 14 Replies

DS turned 11 today.  A few weeks ago he started asking questions about sex after hearing things on the bus.  I borrowed my mom's "Where Did I Come From" book & read it with him - granted some things needed updating since it was written in 1970.

Anyway, my mom thought almost 11 was too young for "the talk".  I told her I would rather he be informed correctly then hear it on the bus.  Plus with kids having sex younger & younger these days, I wanted him to know the consequences.

So what age did you have "the talk" with your kids?

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
km1970
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:51 PM
2 moms liked this

We've never had "the talk". It's been an ongoing dialouge as they get older. They ask questions we answer them. We see something on tv that can be discussed we discuss it. We notice comments they make we discuss when it's appropriate..etc.

Oddy_Knocky
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Started talking at 9 and haven't stopped. Open dialogue.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:53 PM
I dont believe in one talk. We started with anatomically correct terms for body parts as a baby and went from there
giroirk
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:54 PM
My daughter is 10 so we haven't had the talk yet. But I feel if they are asking questions then it is time. Every now and then she will ask a question and when I start to explain, she will tell me to stop, that she doesn't want to know anymore! Lol
Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:54 PM
My ds s 7 and knows about where babies come from. We told him when I was pregnant with his baby sister.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:54 PM
11, dang my kids are 6 and 7 and we've already started the talk.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:54 PM
This. Sex education starts in the toddler years.

Quoting km1970:

We've never had "the talk". It's been an ongoing dialouge as they get older. They ask questions we answer them. We see something on tv that can be discussed we discuss it. We notice comments they make we discuss when it's appropriate..etc.

bluedolly01
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:55 PM
We have been having the talk with DD since she waa about 5 (now 14) I dont believe that it is a one time thing - there is WAY to much information for one talk.
ivegotrhythm
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Last spring (my son was /is ten) I bought him a book. "What's happening to my body? For boys. "

I told him to read it and feel free to ask me or grandpa any questions.

No I didn't include dad because he thought ten was too young and is useless at talks anyway.
MyDiwa
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:03 PM

My son was 5. He just asked out of the blue and after freaking out (and saying a silent prayer), I just answered each of his questions as honestly as I could while staying appropriate for his age. Any simplistic answers weren't cutting it because he just kept probing if it didn't make sense. Over time, he has come back and asked some more questions and I just answered as best as I could. His latest thing is that he is EXTREMELY happy that he's not a girl, because then he'd grow up to be a lady and that's just too much!!!! 

As I said, I freaked out at first because I wasn't prepared, but the beauty of having The Talk when he's so young is that at that age, it's just fact/information. There's no wierdness about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)