Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WTF???

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
My friend is 34 weeks pregnant at L&D right now. She is being induced because she has Pre-E. She was admitted early this morning and when she was 2 1/2cm dilated, they broke her water. He it is...over 12 hours later. She is only 3cm dilated now. They have had her on pitocin ALL DAY.

I asked her if they talked to her about an epidural or about a possible C-section. She says no because her blood plateletes are low, and she would bleed to death during a csection and even an epidural would kill her. This doesn't make sense. As early as she is, Why did THEY break her water and not let her naturally progress and everything on her own? Why give her pitocin when the baby is already at risk? I am so confused.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Miller0305
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:06 PM
I had an aunt almost die and give birth to a still born at 9 months pregnant because of pre eclampsia. It's not usually something to wait on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:09 PM
I understand that. I mean I know why they are inducing her, buy why with pitocin when the baby is already being stressed? If she absolutely can not bleed, how will she give birth? This is her first baby and I am sure she will tear.

Quoting Miller0305: I had an aunt almost die and give birth to a still born at 9 months pregnant because of pre eclampsia. It's not usually something to wait on.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Her labor is being induced they have to give her pitocin to get things moving because on her own its so early it most likely wouldn't have progressed!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I'm sure they can still do a c-section & give her a blood transfusion.

key2ynot
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:14 PM

i delivered my first at 34 wks bc of pre-e.  I was admitted around noon on a friday and delivered around 6pm the next day. I literally almost died and have almost no memory of anything from Friday afternoon until sometime Monday.

Looking back I used to wonder why they waited so long for induction (it was a vaginal birth - also my first)  if it was such an emergency.  I think part of the delay before delivery is so that they can get enough steroids into the mother's system to help the baby's lungs.  Also, if she is in the hospital, she is likely on meds to keep the pre-e under control and keeping her and the baby under close supervision. 

kiwiskiwi29
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:15 PM

This same exact thing happened to me. They need to get that baby out ASAP because your frend or her baby could die. Pre e is nothing to screw with. I had all those same symptoms with my son and he and I are both healthy and fine 6 years later. Not to worry. Your friend will be fine. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:40 PM
She keeps saying she can't and they absolutely will not do one.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Well if her or the baby is gonna die they will. They probly just arn't telling her that.

Quoting Anonymous: She keeps saying she can't and they absolutely will not do one.

Quoting Anonymous:

BewitchedKisses
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I had pre-eclampsia and I was in the hospital six weeks before I was induced. My youngest's lungs weren't developed so they had to wait to deliver him until his lungs were ready. I was in labor for around six hours, but I dilated quickly and I had an epidural. No picotin for me. They put some gel on my cervix and that started it all. 

Talienas
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:47 PM
I've had it twice, they can give an epidural (had one with second) and they broke her water too early. My first was about 24 hours, second 18. It takes time. And depending on severity, 34 weeks may be necessary.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)