• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What will happen if I don't show up for court?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 79 Replies
I had to contact cs enforcement because my ex stop paying cs two months ago. They sent us both out a letter saying our court date is tomorrow. I can't afford to take off work so I'm just not going to show up. I don't see why I have to anyway. He's the one that broke an agreement. What good will it be for me to be there? Last time I went, the judge only told him to get a job and pay his cs and they gave him two months to do so and that was that.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thelonebuffalo
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:12 PM
4 moms liked this
Most likely be held in contempt of court and a warrant issued for you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DoofusAloofus
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like you ought to go because you are the one bringing the complaint. If you aren't there it may be as if you have no complaint. At the very least you ought to call the court clerk --prior to the court date/time-- and ask what happens if you can not attend due to work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Lol no a warrant will only be issued to him, it's not that serious for me.

Quoting thelonebuffalo: Most likely be held in contempt of court and a warrant issued for you
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:15 PM
If you don't go they will assume you don't care there for they won't care and your case could be dismissed.

If you couldn't have made that court date you should have asked for it to be moved.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

this or throw the case out completely

Quoting thelonebuffalo: Most likely be held in contempt of court and a warrant issued for you

booboobear12
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this
They will issue a warrant for your arrest.
If you go to jail then he will get custody of the child/children. Then he may get dismissed on then you will look bad.
:( sorry it just how it works please go.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:16 PM
I will call and see if they can reschedule for a day that I have off. It's bad enough that I'm already struggling to care for the kids alone, I don't want to contribute to that because he keep deciding to quit his job.

Quoting DoofusAloofus:

It sounds like you ought to go because you are the one bringing the complaint. If you aren't there it may be as if you have no complaint. At the very least you ought to call the court clerk --prior to the court date/time-- and ask what happens if you can not attend due to work.

CABZS
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:18 PM
I never had to show up for enforcement but my notice stated that.

I'm sure you had plenty of time to take off or call them to make sure or change the date.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:18 PM
You couldn't pay him to keep the kids lol. That's a joke and I doubt they will send a warrant out for me.

Quoting booboobear12: They will issue a warrant for your arrest.

If you go to jail then he will get custody of the child/children. Then he may get dismissed on then you will look bad.

:( sorry it just how it works please go.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Its a big deal. Why not go in and show you care? Don't you want to know the outcome?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)