Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You'd be a lot more help if you weren't so much help

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:36 PM
  • 3 Replies

The post about showing the mouthy 12 year old what a real day's work is about got me thinking.  I know my DS is only 5 right now, but he really should be responsible for some things around the house.  The problem I have is that it is just so much easier to do it myself.

I know some of it is my own personal issues.  I'm very fanatical about the way I do some things.  And very few people do things the way I like them done.  And if I have to go behind everyone else and redo, what is the point of having them do it in the first place?  (Yeah, I had a lot of fun after my daughter was born and my midwives had decided to be helpful by unloading the dishwasher for me.)

I've tried getting him involved in some of the things I do around the house.  Swish and swipe the bathroom.  All that involves is spritzing the mirror, counter, sink, and toilet with a little bit of windex.  Wipe down the mirror, counter, and sink; run the toilet bowl brush along the bowl real quick; and wipe down the toilet, top to bottom.  Takes all of a minute to do.  Asking him to do it.......................honestly it just drives me crazy.  Rather than a light mist all over everything, he concentrates the nozzel in a single point.  When he wipes, he misses about half of it.  And the swish?  Toilet water ends up splashing out.  Then I have to go behind him and hit up the spots he missed as well as clean up toilet water off of the tub and floor.

So, what suggestions does anybody have about giving my son some chores?  Things that he would be able to do and I would be able to say "It doesn't matter how it's done" and just walk away.  How do you go about adding chores to the list?

And what about for my 2 1/2 year old DD?  Obviously, they need to learn at some point that they're expected to be a productive member of the family.  What age should one expect their children to start contributing?  What tasks would you suggest for starter chores?

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:36 PM
Edited by
on
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
strictmomhere
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:39 PM
My kids by 3 could dust swiffer put away toys
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ncbirdie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:58 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:02 PM
As soon as my kid could walk and understand me, he was helping. Tossing trash away, picking his toys from the floor and putting them in his toy bin. Clean his own messes. He is over 3 now and usually picks up his toys or cleans his mess without me asking. He may ask for help to clean up, but he initiated it on his own.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)