Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Roommate Situation....what would you do?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

Last year in March I let my cousin move in and rent the room I have.  It's only $300 I charged her, which is about 300 less than any other room in the county.  (We live near SF so cost of living is high)

Anyway

It has been nice having the extra 300 in my pocket but now, since my son is getting older, and I don't really want to share a room with him anymore because my relationship is getting more serious with my SO, and because he needs more space now, I have been thinking of giving her a 30-day notice on the 1st.

Some other reasons that kind of make me lean toward giving her the notice is she has been told that she needs to give me a days notice for guests that are going to be in the home if they are staying overnight. She has failed to do that.

She doesn't clean.  It's always half-assed.  Might sweep a pile once a month, but leave the pile, not throw it away.  Might leave her dishes long enough for maggots to be there, leaves her clothes in the bathroom for weeks, doesn't buy dish soap, toilet paper, cleaner, nothing, etc

The last is that she pays every bill LATE.  not just a day late, I mean, like a week late.

I just feel like all is pointing to her leaving, I feel guilty because she is family, but really, I have been getting annoyed for a while and now just want my home back to myself. 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:00 PM
You'll have to just sit her down and tell her its time to move on. I'd discuss with her the timeframe she needs to get a new place and compromise on that. That way nobody can be mad at you if she doesn't have it together at the agreed upon time.
intangible
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Kick her ass out! Don't feel any remorse. If she is disgusting enough to allow her filth to breed maggots in your house, that's totally unacceptable! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Give her the 30 day notice and tell her why.  It sucks but you want your house back and she's not helping at all so I'd want her to leave too.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I would just raise the rate to 700. Then she'll move but it won't look like its your fault

KJ786
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this
If you feel guilty, but want her out, maybe tell her your plans for your kid, but tell her you will also help her look for a new place. Maybe that will help soften the blow a bit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:09 PM
I agree. Try to compromise. She's not just a roommate, she's family. It would be nice to reach a compromise and leave things on good terms. I mean if she asks for 60 days instead of 30 days, I would give that.

Quoting Anonymous: You'll have to just sit her down and tell her its time to move on. I'd discuss with her the timeframe she needs to get a new place and compromise on that. That way nobody can be mad at you if she doesn't have it together at the agreed upon time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:12 PM

That's what I was thinking of saying.  I was thinking of giving the official 30day notice but then letting her know if she needs to move out more slowly, then to just keep me informed on if she needs an extension.

Quoting Anonymous: I agree. Try to compromise. She's not just a roommate, she's family. It would be nice to reach a compromise and leave things on good terms. I mean if she asks for 60 days instead of 30 days, I would give that.

Quoting Anonymous: You'll have to just sit her down and tell her its time to move on. I'd discuss with her the timeframe she needs to get a new place and compromise on that. That way nobody can be mad at you if she doesn't have it together at the agreed upon time.

sara82lee
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:13 PM
I agree that you need to remember she's family and try to help her find a new place... but I'd still make sure I put her 30 day notice in writing. Check into what you need to do to cover yourself legally just in case she decides to wear out her welcome.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Just talk to her about your changing needs/relationship/etc. Don't bash or blame her. Ya know? If you keep things positive, it will help the transition.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's what I was thinking of saying.  I was thinking of giving the official 30day notice but then letting her know if she needs to move out more slowly, then to just keep me informed on if she needs an extension.

Quoting Anonymous: I agree. Try to compromise. She's not just a roommate, she's family. It would be nice to reach a compromise and leave things on good terms. I mean if she asks for 60 days instead of 30 days, I would give that.

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:15 PM

So....have you talked to her at all about any of this?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)