• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Jewish people and money

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
I admit, I am terribly ignorant when it comes to religions other than my own. And I'm not Jewish.

Is there something in the Jewish religion that dictates how to deal with money? It just seems that in nearly every affluent neighborhood I venture into, there is a very dense population of Jewish people. In fact, they seem to dominate the upper middle class (can't say uber-wealthy because I don't know anyone in that category).

How do they not go broke celebrating these lavish bar mitzvahs and hannukahs and weddings and whatever else??
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
caligirl7613
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:05 AM
From my experience alot of them have family money or like a great whoever came to america in whatever year, worked a really crappy job, saved and made their own business that has been passed down through the generations...also family seems to play a HUGE role in their lives, im sure they kind of all chip ina d hekp out maybe??? Then jewish parents are also aware from the time they have a child, that this celebration is eventually coming. Im sure they start to prepare when their child is very young. i would anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I am Christian but taught in a Hebrew school and grew up in a very Jewish area and the parents stress education. They instill in their kids that one must work hard and the kids follow through. If the kids where I taught struggled academically the parents got extra help. There was never a question as to if the kids would go to college. You also see the same with those from Asian cultures. Education and hard work.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:09 AM

As far as my generation goes, I know there is a lot of pressure put on individuals to do great things in school, business and life.  Community plays a big role, as does family.  I do not know any of my Jewish friends who have parents/grandparents who will not pass down a large sum of money, and who will not gift them large sums of money throughout their life. 

However, I am not Jewish, and these are only obsevations I have made based on a large number of Jewish friends.  This could be a very ignorant observation as I have never been like "Hey, guys, why do all you Jewish folks have so much money. What gives?" 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:14 AM

because that is the only time they spend a lot of money.  Those occasions are not often.  I live on Long Island and over the top weddings, sweet 16s and bar mitzvahs are extravagant.  Jewish people have always been highly educated with a strong work ethic as well.  I know in my mom's generation(1950s) the only ones that actually went to college were Jewish people or upper income people. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:14 AM

The Jewish people I know are very tight w/ their money. Maybe they are good at making it and saving it so that they can have the  bar mitzvahs & such.

One Jewish lady I know had a yard sale &  after sometime  pulled off her  thing on her head ( bandana?) she  tried to sale it.  It was nasty w/ her sweat too. 

momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:15 AM
The only religious commandments regarding money is to give 10% of your income to charity. "Tzedakah" (charity, donations) are essential tennets in Judaism.
And it's a stereotype that we all have money. I don't, we struggle. And I know many families that struggle too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:15 AM

my mom always wished I would have married a nice Jewish boy.   I don't think I have ever met a poor jew

Cutenessmom
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Go to Belief.net to learn more pick up a book :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)