Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Friend having a fundraiser for daughters

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies
Medical bills. The little girl fell through bleachers and broke her elbow. Their medical bills are $12,000. They will get a settlement but it won't be until after she has her final surgery. The final surgery is as she is growing, so ... It could be 5-10 years. Who knows.

Any way, we haven't seen these guys in a year and now we hear from them?
They want money for their bills. They drive a huge truck and an escalade. When you start having to borrow money, isn't it time to downgrade? We make $150,00/yr. my husband drives a 96 mercury sable and I have a 2012 grand caravan. We don't have debt. We have a huge savings and we ALWAYS help if needed. In this case, I don't feel it's NEEDED. I feel it's an easy way out so they can continue their life style. My husband thinks we should help.

What would you do???? Do you feel obligated to help when people ask?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
No.

If it's in litigation technically they can't really try to collect the debt now. They can put a lien on the settlement.

Many years of litigation has taught me this.

Besides.. she fell.through the bleachers. I can't really see that as something to sue for.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Nope I do not help especially if they have not been steady in my life before this.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Nope. A friend in need is a friend indeed. If you haven't seen them in a year, and don't really talk to them much I don't know why you'd feel obligated. I think it's tacky they asked.

KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:02 AM

If they were closer friends I'd help. You have not seen these people in over a year, so I am with you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:02 AM
I have a problem when people show up in my life only when they need me.

It doesn't sound like you are really a part of their life enough anymore to even know if there is a true need.
msalice_21
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I would hate to buy another vehicle because I sold it to downgrade. That's another hit on my credit. A good question would be, Are they even able to trade the cars in? Or do they owe too much?
Lexa_Lee
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this
She should have had insurance.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:03 AM
That's good to know! Thanks for the info. I don't understand how they can sue for that either.

Quoting thefiregoddess: No.

If it's in litigation technically they can't really try to collect the debt now. They can put a lien on the settlement.

Many years of litigation has taught me this.

Besides.. she fell.through the bleachers. I can't really see that as something to sue for.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I love america. Some kids falls through the bleachers through presumably their own fault and the parents sue?! WTF

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Why are their bills so high? My mom broke her elbow, and had surgery and everything. She owed $3000 out of pocket after insurance.

Are they NOT insured?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)