Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would You Sue? This was one hell of a RX mixup!! Update

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 321 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you sue?

Options:

Yes

No

Other, explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 444

View Results

My husband has been feeling off and sick for the past 3 weeks. He had lost 20 lbs. in 2 wks , has been way tired,  and has had stomach pain. He went to the Dr. and his blood work came back normal. Dr. thought maybe it was a stomach bug of some sort, and told him to come back in a couple weeks if it wasn't better.

Fast forward to today. I picked up his RX for his Ritalin (he has mild narcolepsy, a sleep disorder) . He was looking at the pills and they are the same little ones he was taking the time before last. He didn't think much of the difference in the appearance of the pills because this was a new pharmacy and often times they use different manufacterers so the meds look different.  Long story short the pharmacy gave him methadone instead of methawhatever the generic of Ritalin is. He has been taking it for almost a month! Methadone is a narcotic used for pain after surgery, he was getting a really low dose but it was a enough to have an impact. Guess what the side effects are? Tiredness, stomach pain, weight loss, dry mouth and anxiety. He has been having dry mouth really bad, but that is a side effect of Ritalin too. He also has been an anxious ass these last few weeks, putting me to shame, and that is saying something.

So we are happy to know he isn't dying. I was freaked out that he had stomach cancer or something totally awful. My imagination runs away with me.

Needless to say the pharmacy is very apologetic, called his dr. and is going to pay the bills from his labs and dr. visit. DH could tell the pharmacist was worried that we would sue, and he told but told DH he has all the records and if he needs them he is welcome to them. I doubt we will sue, accidents happen, we are just lucky it wasn't worse. 

Lesson learned, always, always, always, double check your meds. It just happened by chance that Dh thought to compare the labels.  

Eta: I asked DH if it was the pharmacist's fault or the if the Dr. wrote the script wrong. The pharmacist admitted that it was the pharmacy's mistake

Eta2: gosh this blew up overnight! 

1. The bottle said Methadone. 

2. I have no idea why he didn't double check the RX when it looked different. He has checked when pills look different on more than one occasion, it surprised me too he didn't call when they looked different. He just dismissed it as a new pharmacy different manufacturer.

3. I'm not surprised he didn't notice the label, he is kind of oblivious like that. He goes to the store and I ask how much it all was and he doesn't know because he didn't pay attention. Yes, it drives me crazy sometimes.

4. We will not sue. DH never wanted to sue, he said accidents happen and he knows he should have double checked. He thinks America is too sue happy and that is part of the reason things are the way they are. However, if it had been one of my kids, you bet your sweet ass I would sue the pants off of them.

5. There shouldn't be any long term damage, but his dr. Is wanting to check up with him in a couple weeks.

6. We are most definitely switching back to our old pharmacy.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:39 AM
11 moms liked this

No I wouldn't sue. Your husband is partly to blame for not checking the label himself. Lesson learned.

FelineTopic
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:40 AM
4 moms liked this
Oh wow...

That's scary...

It seems the pharmacy is cooperating with you and working to correct this error, so no I would not sue....

I would go to a different pharmacy though....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paigea
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:40 AM

I'd probably look at it the same way as you.  Glad your DH is okay now.

I hope they are going to review their procedures at least.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:41 AM
4 moms liked this
I didn't vote bc I'm not sure. But honestly, I probably would. I feel like without a major kick in the ass it will be overlooked and possibly happen again. Methadone and methylphenadate are very very different. It couldve ended very badly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:41 AM

The crazy thing is, usually if one of his pills looks different he calls the pharmacy, I don't know why he didn't this time. 

Quoting Anonymous:

No I wouldn't sue. Your husband is partly to blame for not checking the label himself. Lesson learned.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:41 AM
Yes years ago a small child died because of a mistake of this nature. Same exact thing too xcept the dif bt the kid n you spouse is the kid had ADHD
CrimsonEleven
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:43 AM
5 moms liked this
Wow. I'm a CPhT and I don't even understand how a mix up like this can even happen. Methylphenidate and methadone are both schedule II drugs and need a new, signed hard copy for each fill. How can this have been screwed up multiple times?? How did the pharmacist not catch that? It boggles the mind. I'd switch pharmacies.
lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:44 AM
Yes. I would be concerned about lasting side effects too.
Sj218
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:44 AM
As long as they paid for the medical expenses and there were no long term side effects, then I wouldn't sue.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured