Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Texas Moms!!!! ****UPDATE*** Kirbyville?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 101 Replies
1 mom liked this
I need your help y'all!! My DH is being transferred to Orange, Texas and I know NOTHING about it!!!!!!! I looked on maps and it looks tiny! Are there even any malls or shopping??? Anyone know what elementary schools are good or is there only one? I'm freaking outttttt! I know this is a long shot buttttttt helppppp!!!!

Update: After discussing the dismal school reviews with dh we started looking in Kirbyville, even CL'ing houses, I'll post my favorite so far, I'm starting to get excited y'all!!!!
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ramita
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Orange, Texas is a growing city. There is a mall, but it's sort of in between two cities, Orange and Port Arthur. You're also pretty close to Galveston which has pretty good beaches and a water park. Houston isn't to far away either which had a lot. Along with Beaumont which is another big city that is still growing. You're also not to far from Louisiana which is where I'm from so you have good food nearby...lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:15 PM
ohhhhh thanksss!! I am most worried about schools, my oldest starts K in the fall, it is stressfull

Quoting ramita: Orange, Texas is a growing city. There is a mall, but it's sort of in between two cities, Orange and Port Arthur. You're also pretty close to Galveston which has pretty good beaches and a water park. Houston isn't to far away either which had a lot. Along with Beaumont which is another big city that is still growing. You're also not to far from Louisiana which is where I'm from so you have good food nearby...lol
ramita
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:18 PM
I don't know much about the schools. I have a niece and nephew that live there with their mom and they go to a really awesome charter school, but as for public schools I'm not sure.

Quoting Anonymous: ohhhhh thanksss!! I am most worried about schools, my oldest starts K in the fall, it is stressfull

Quoting ramita: Orange, Texas is a growing city. There is a mall, but it's sort of in between two cities, Orange and Port Arthur. You're also pretty close to Galveston which has pretty good beaches and a water park. Houston isn't to far away either which had a lot. Along with Beaumont which is another big city that is still growing. You're also not to far from Louisiana which is where I'm from so you have good food nearby...lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:24 PM
I would be good with a charter school if it was a good environment

Quoting ramita: I don't know much about the schools. I have a niece and nephew that live there with their mom and they go to a really awesome charter school, but as for public schools I'm not sure.

Quoting Anonymous: ohhhhh thanksss!! I am most worried about schools, my oldest starts K in the fall, it is stressfull

Alliemad_003
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Go to greatschools.org and look up the school.
Alliemad_003
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:32 PM
And after looking up the public school there, you may want to look into the charter school :/
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:35 PM
oooh thanks for that tip, that doesn't sound promising!!!! Ahhh trying not to freak out!!! I hate small towns!!!

Quoting Alliemad_003: And after looking up the public school there, you may want to look into the charter school :/
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:37 PM
I am born and raised in Texas and honestly never heard of that town. Good luck though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:39 PM
thank you!!

Quoting Anonymous: I am born and raised in Texas and honestly never heard of that town. Good luck though.
Alliemad_003
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Are you moving for a job? Is a commute possible? I'd see if there are any towns surrounding where you need to be and see if the schools are any better.

I'm not familiar with that part of Texas...we're near Dallas. My husband works in Dallas, but there's no way we would live there or put our kids in DallasISD, so we live roughly 30 miles out and he commutes.

I love small towns though. I love being close enough to D/FW for the fun stuff but far enough out to have no traffic, know your neighbors kind of living.

Quoting Anonymous: oooh thanks for that tip, that doesn't sound promising!!!! Ahhh trying not to freak out!!! I hate small towns!!!

Quoting Alliemad_003: And after looking up the public school there, you may want to look into the charter school :/
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)