Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Have you ever had a close call with a child in the home?

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:43 AM
  • 130 Replies
2 moms liked this

5-Year-Old Accidentally Hangs Herself in Her Own Home (VIDEO)

by Kiri Blakeley

Every parent knows that gut-wrenching moment when a kid does something that could almost get him or her killed -- when you're about five feet away -- and you end up thinking you're the worst parent on the planet. Kids have little to no sense of danger, and they move lightning quick. They can also get up to all kinds of strange and potentially life-threatening shenanigans. Thankfully, most of them make it to adulthood. But tragically there are times when they do not. This appears to be one of those times. A grandmother came home to find that her 5-year-old daughter, who the grandmother says was being watched by her two daughters, had accidentally wrapped a rope or string around a plant hanger -- and hanged herself.

The grandmother was inconsolable at what happened, telling CBS Sacramento:

We don’t know how. I’m not home, it’s just my daughter home and her auntie home, but her auntie in the bathroom and talk on the phone.

But police say they have to investigate anyway, to make sure that the child was being properly supervised, as neighbors have said they often saw children from the family alone.

Additionally, this little girl had apparently gotten into trouble once before -- a neighbor says police had been called out to the house a couple of months prior when the girl went missing. But she was eventually found hiding under a bed.

There are some unanswered questions here -- was one of the adults home her mother? If so, how does a little girl manage this without being caught?

However, if she was in a room by herself and the mom left her playing -- she probably wouldn't check on her in the time it might take her to fashion something like that. I remember creating all kinds of scenarios when I was a kid that miraculously managed not to kill me.

More From The Stir: 3-Year-Old Killed in Fold-Out Couch While Playing With Sisters

A planter hook on a ceiling isn't something you would think could be a danger to a child -- you wonder how she even managed to get up that high, but I haven't seen the home, so I won't make any judgments.

I'm sure the police will figure it out what happened, and until that time, my heart goes out to this family.

Have you ever had a close call with a child in the home?

Click here for more on the story

by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baquick
by Ruby Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:46 AM
Wow! That's so scary! Luckily I haven't yet *knock on wood*
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:48 AM
So sad.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:49 AM
My oldest scared me when she was about one. She found a peanut and , of course , she put it in her mouth. She was choking ..no noise and turning pale. I flipped her and swatted her back and it flew out..it was awful!! I cried , she cried . Very scary.
69liliem10
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Thankfully, no. I have not.

That poor family. My heart goes out to them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Not in the house, but near a pool. We went to my sons friend's 5th birthday and he was standing next to me and one of the parents called my name and I turned around for one second to respond and within that second my son ran off and jumped into the deep end of the pool...with no floaties. I jumped right in after him and got him but it was the scariest time of my life.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:51 AM
I live in Sacramento. There is a lot of people speculating it may not have been an accident. I hope it was just a tragic accident.
baw8756
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:52 AM

I can't really say I've had any "close calss" exactly but when my now 5 year old was about a year and a hald she managed to eat deodorant. Just a small amount but it was enough to where I had to call the poison control center. Luckily I just fed her crackers to coat her tummy and she was fine but definately one of the scariest things that Ive had to deal with as far as "accidents" in the home. AND for those reading thinking maybe I should have been watching my child better. I was actually standing right beside her when it happened. It was the stick deodorant that would fall off when you got to the end and I used it while getting ready for work and she was at my feet and it fell off without me knowing about it and when I looked down she was eating it. I was horrified lol. Accidents happen I guess but the above story sounds like they definately do need to investigate. Maybe she wasnt being watched appropriately especially if this wasnt the first instance

JRSMOM0621
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:54 AM
Nothing like this thankfully! He has fell down the stairs and we rushed him to the ER just to find out he was okay and they far him a stuff dog for his boo boo as they called it. I create these types of scenes in my head and people call me paranoid but I feel that I am being safe.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:55 AM
Not.me, but a family.I know. Their DD was.plauing in the back yard and got tangled in a rope hanging from a tree and nearly died. She has severe brain damage from lack of oxygen and will never be able to care for herself. So sad!!
copperked
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:55 AM
The worst I've had to deal with was my stepson getting in a wreck, not wearing his seatbelt, while playing hooky from school. He ended up with 14 staples in his head but no life threatening injuries, thankfully.
My siblings and I, however, put my parents through the wringer back before everything was safety tested.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN