Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

HELP! MY KITTY TEARS UP EVERYTHING!!(UPDATE )

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 123 Replies
Hello ladies that have cats. I have a Kitty that claws up all of our furniture its upholstery. He digs his claws into the arms and the backside of the arms on our chairs and couches!! Its hideous now. We have to get new furniture and im happy about it but my cat is seriously STUPID he don't take no for an answer. He's like a two year old child that will look at you while you tell him no and ray him with water .. he'll do it over and over..we call him little shit lol...but not around DS. How do I keep him from tearing up our soon to be new furniture?
I love him so much but I'm tired of him clawing everything nice we have. Its frustrating!! Aggravating and makes me ant to smack him. But I don't because he's just an animal doing what cats do in the wild. Ideas?

UPDATE! thank you ladies for all your wonderful ideas ill be giving them all a try. However I wont be declawing my Kitty as he is to old( 5 years)& to big 13 lbs according to the vet...but he's really Just real Stocky. And after reading what they do to the cat it literally makes me cringe ..poor Kitty's ..anyway anyone who does declaw that's there business. Thanks!

My cat Kitty
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2girls220
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Claw caps.
imthatgirl0607
by Ruby Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Get him a scratching post?

We spray our kitten with water hen she does it. She does it a lot less now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Declaw
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Keep his nails trimmed.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:55 PM
Clear packing tape on areas you do not want clawed, or plastic covers.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:56 PM
Oh no! Tried that I became the couch.hurt like hell. He won't let me come near his claws never has..

Quoting Anonymous: Keep his nails trimmed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:56 PM
Do you have a cat scratching post? I recommend one that has different textures on it. Ours is carpeted with a section that has rope around it but it also has a place for both cats to perch and play.

Get one and take his paws and rub the pads of them on it to get the scent on it. Keep redirecting by doing this. He'll get it eventually.
momof2girls220
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this
What a stupid fucking suggestion.

Quoting Anonymous: Declaw
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:58 PM
Not sure why you haven't figured it out yet but get him declawed... Problem solved.
slashteddy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:58 PM
Vertical scratching posts, a squirt bottle, and a play mate.

My cats would rather use the furniture until I got vertical scratching posts and rubbed them with catnip. Keep his naila trimmed. Squirt with a squirt bottle when he claws furniture, praise him with treats when he uses the post. A lot of younger cats get bored by themselves and will vent by going nuts and destroying things; it's recommended to get at least two at once to prevent this so that they'll have another kitty to keep them occupied rather than your belongings.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)