Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My brother didn't ask my son (only nephew) to be a ringbear: would you be upset?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 259 Replies

My brother and his fiancee came over for dinner today. They broke the news that they got engaged last night, and we were all excited. My son is the only young boy on both sides, so I asked what they were thinking for the ring bearer.

My brother said "oh, we're going to have Max do it!". Max is their dog. I faked a smile but was secretly a bit upset. I think he could tell too since he changed the subject pretty quickly.

What would you think? Am I overreacting or would  you be upset too?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:49 PM
2 moms liked this
Ring-bearer.

And who cares. Did you suggest the boy? Are they close?
aidyns_mommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:49 PM
4 moms liked this
It's their wedding. I wouldn't be upset. My son was a ring bearer for his uncles wedding. It didn't go well lol. He didn't like 'all those people' staring at him. he ran down the aisle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:49 PM
6 moms liked this
You are over-reacting
TheFirstNoel
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:50 PM
17 moms liked this

No, you're overreacting. It's THEIR wedding, not yours. I think having their dog be the ringbearer is cute, and since they own the dog presumable together, a great way to present the rings that will essentially bind them together. Your son probably won't care, and if he does, he'll get over it. 

JulyBabies
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:51 PM
2 moms liked this

I'd be kind of relieved actually. Too much stress over other people's weddings when everyone is involved in the wedding party. 

Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:51 PM
2 moms liked this
They're not obligated to have him in their wedding. Depending on his age, kids don't always do well walking down the aisle and that's why I didn't have a ring bearer or flower girl.
HollyHawk333
by Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:51 PM
Id say over reacting but if you are that upset talk to him about it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:52 PM

They're fairly close. I would have suggested him if he said they weren't sure yet, but he seemed very sure of it when they said the dog. 

Quoting Anonymous: Ring-bearer.

And who cares. Did you suggest the boy? Are they close?

Moo_point
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:52 PM
7 moms liked this
Their wedding is about them not you. I would never expect my kids to be in my siblings wedding unless they asked them to be. The dog is what is special and their "child" for now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sister_Someone
by Rachel on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:53 PM
3 moms liked this

I would think that their dog is a more important part of their family than my kid, and there's nothing wrong with that. Besides, it's their wedding and they can plan it as they see fit. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)