Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Moms with more than one child

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies

I need some helpful insight.  I just have one child, she is just over a year old.  I quit my job as a nanny 6 months ago because I wanted to be home with her more and was getting stressed out by all the responsibility at work.  They were early elementary aged and the amount of transportation required was getting difficult when combined with my toddler's extreme hatred of being put in her carseat.  Now it's been 6 months and I feel myself seeking out work again.  We do fine with just dh's income but it would be nice to have extras again.  A lady emailed me about working for her, the scenerio would be watching her 3 mo old 2 days a week and getting her preschooler from school in the afternoon.  It's only 2 days (maybe 2 and a half) so I'd still mostly be staying at home...  I'm just trying to decide if this is the right situation for me.  Should I even go back to work?  I feel very conflicted. How would my daughter respond to me taking care of an infant instead of playing with her?  We want to have anotther child at some point in the future but for now my dd is used to it just being me and her...   How do you manage taking care of an infant (3 mo old) and a toddler?  As well as a preschooler?  Is it difficult?  Too difficult for someone that's only a mom to one?  Is there a lot of jealousy?  How do you handle trasporting three kids at once when two are in rearfacing seats?  I have a sedan that can fit 3 carseats in the back but it'll probably be tight getting them in and out.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2014 at 7:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BambiF
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 7:46 AM
2 moms liked this
I started doing home Childcare when my second child was 4 months old (and dd was 3). I had 2-5 additional kids every day, and made it work. My dd enjoyed having friends to play with and my son still got plenty of attention.
I took a break from it but am back at it (ds is 2 and dd is 5).
It's a lot of fun and a great way to be able to stay home with your own children, if you like kids.
momoftwoboys12
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 7:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Nap times helped with me. I had a newborn and an 18 month old. When my newborn slept I played with my 18 month old and vise versa. I let my oldest "help" me when I was taking care of the baby so I got time with both. It's hat at first but you get the hang of it
AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 7:51 AM

It's not difficult at all. Going from 1 to 2 is a bigger adjustment than going from 2 to 3, IMO, but it's workable. 

You just have to figure out the infants schedule and work around it. Sure you won't be able to devote every second to your toddler, but you will be able to care for both of hers without sacrificing too much time with yours.

CoolRelax
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 7:53 AM

I have 2 kids, but they are the twins.  From outside looking in it seems 1-2 is the hardest transition and after that it doesn't matter much unless there are serious personality conflicts. 

My girls go to a babysitter who has kids herself, and they love it.  They have more friends to play with and I can see their little social skills developing.  Meeting new kids, playing together, resolving conflict, making friends. I don't think being around other children will be bad for your daughter at all.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 7:56 AM

My children are only 12 months apart so I did just that.

It wasn't hard, it is all about setting a routine. You DD will be fine after a while, at first she will be jealous but that is normal.

As for the seats, you will have to try and see if they fit. To me that would be the deal breaker.

I nanny for a little boy, I have since he was 8 weeks old and he is now 4. I consider him just like I would my other children when I make decisions because he is now apart of my family.

Malayahsmom06
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 7:57 AM
Keeping a consistent procedure for how you do things helps. Preparing ahead of time also helps.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:11 AM

bump

suzanneyea
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:17 AM

I understand wanting to go back to work, but do not get wanting to care for other people's children for work. Don't you want to do something different? Use your brain a bit more? See other adults?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:23 AM

My oldest was just about one when our second was born. He did fine with the new addition he easily accepted her. I didn't have much trouble caring for the two my biggest struggle was nursing my youngest taking a long time but you won't have that. When my third was born the kids were 3.5 and 2.5 again they did just fine. Both were excited for a baby. The car was a bit tight but not unmanageable. I think you'll be fine it'd be two days a week. She'll most likely view them as play dates that are fun not negatively.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:24 AM

You can't be serious?  Please tell me of all the jobs out there where you can get paid to take care of your own child all day?  And no I'm not talking about work from home scams.  I refuse to put my child in daycare so I can "see other adults" during the day.  I am around adults plenty and use my brain just fine, thanks.

Quoting suzanneyea:

I understand wanting to go back to work, but do not get wanting to care for other people's children for work. Don't you want to do something different? Use your brain a bit more? See other adults?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)