Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Will getting married screw up my health insurance? *Update*

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:02 AM
  • 42 Replies

Right now I'm still covered under my parents health insurance until I'm 26, but I'm getting married in March and I'm pregnant due sometime in August. What I want to know is if, in the state of Florida, when I get married will I be cut from my parents health coverage?

My fiance currently does not have health insurance through his job but we're in the process of getting it, I'm just worried that the baby and I will end up not covered and we'll be shelling out loads of money. My cousin in NY has two health insurances, one through her parents till she's 26 and then one through her husband. Anyone know about Florida though? 

UPDATE

I will still be covered under my parents even after getting married until I'm 26 years old. The baby will be covered for the first 30 days. This is in Florida incase any one was wondering and through United healthcare. 

by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
withsecond
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:03 AM
No clue.
I didn't even realize you could be on your parents insurance that long.
chickensmommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:04 AM
2 moms liked this
Yes. Once you are married you are no longer your parents' dependent.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:04 AM
I always thought you basically got cut off if you married, but new laws may make things different. Would you qualify for WIC?
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never heard of being able to keep your parents coverage once you are married. The only thing you can do is call your insurance and ask. 

SecondChance709
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:09 AM

I'm not sure yet, we just found out about the pregnancy and still have to see the doctor

Quoting Anonymous: I always thought you basically got cut off if you married, but new laws may make things different. Would you qualify for WIC?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:30 AM
I've been married 5 years and I am still covered under my dad's insurance...
SecondChance709
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:48 AM
What state are you in?

Quoting Anonymous: I've been married 5 years and I am still covered under my dad's insurance...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:57 AM
Cali

Quoting SecondChance709: What state are you in?

Quoting Anonymous: I've been married 5 years and I am still covered under my dad's insurance...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:00 AM
Are you still in school?
momto3infl
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Any state you ate if u get married u will be dropped from parents insurance. But being pregnant you can get state insurance from FL. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)