Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are mammograms really ALL that?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 62 Replies

Or do they cause breast tissue harm like i've been reading?  Dr wants me to get one, and I do not have any family risk factors for breast cancer.  

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Once you reach 40 you should have a regular mammogram, it is the best way to catch breast cancer early. Even without a family history. Don't play with your health.

Under 40 and your breast tissue is too dense and mammograms aren't as useful, best to have an ultrasound.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:58 AM

wasnt the recommendation changed to over 50?

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Once you reach 40 you should have a regular mammogram, it is the best way to catch breast cancer early. Even without a family history. Don't play with your health.

Under 40 and your breast tissue is too dense and mammograms aren't as useful, best to have an ultrasound.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:59 AM
My oncologist and PC completely disagree with your bottom paragraph.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Hmm. Don't know.

I have a family history of breast cancer, so my OB recommended 40.

I'm a better safe than sorry kind of gal.

Quoting Anonymous:

wasnt the recommendation changed to over 50?

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

”Nonsense wakes up the brain cells. And it helps develop a sense of humor, which is awfully important in this day and age.” - Dr. Seuss. 

mcginnisc
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:00 AM
I have not had any issues and I have been having them done for several years now. I do have breast cancer in my family so I have been getting them since I was 33 or so. I will be 39 in a couple of months.
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:01 AM

This was what my OB told me. I have a history of breast cancer. I get ultrasounds if I have any lumps/bumps instead of a mammogram.

Quoting Anonymous: My oncologist and PC completely disagree with your bottom paragraph.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

”Nonsense wakes up the brain cells. And it helps develop a sense of humor, which is awfully important in this day and age.” - Dr. Seuss. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:02 AM

I'm 28 and I had one last year.

It's completely painless and I have never heard of it damaging breast tissue.

I had one because I have a cyst in my breast that was hurting, but it turned out to be nothing.

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:04 AM

If your doctor wants you to get a mammogram, get it.   They DEFINITELY ARE 'all that' and they save a lot of lives.

If you believe the bullshit about them harming tissue, tell me, do you believe all the other stupid tinfoil hat conspiracy theories on the internet, too?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:04 AM
I also have history and have had to get a bi-annual mammo since age 25.

Anyhow, I just wouldn't want OP to be dissuaded from getting one if her doc thinks she should because of what you wrote.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

This was what my OB told me. I have a history of breast cancer. I get ultrasounds if I have any lumps/bumps instead of a mammogram.

Quoting Anonymous: My oncologist and PC completely disagree with your bottom paragraph.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

No.   You are not in a position to decide if individuals should get a mamo or ultrasound.    If the radiologist who reviews the first mamo thinks that you need an ultrasound, THEN get an ultrasound.  

New mamo machines are digital and are absolutely fantastic.   The old advice about what to do is no longer valid - LISTEN TO THE DOCTOR AND RADIOLOGIST.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)