Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Single Gender schools

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:41 AM
  • 124 Replies

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on single gender schools.  Is there a certain age at which you would think they were a good idea?  Do you think they are a good idea at any age?  Or maybe you don't like the idea of them at all....

Single gender schools.....your thoughts.

by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:43 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm not a huge fan. while I do think boys and girls learn differently, a good school will know how to teach to both

bcoll
by Brandi on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I enjoyed having both genders in school, my children seem to as well. I doubt I'd seek out a single gender school.

imthatgirl0607
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:45 AM
3 moms liked this

I have no real opinion. I don't think it matters one way or the other. If I felt a school was a good fit for my child it wouldn't matter to me in the least. 

STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

personally, I think they are a great idea, and if my area had affordable single gender options available, I would jump right on it.  My school has two classes per grade, and if they had enough enrollment for three, they would offer single gender options.  Many of our parents are interested, but enough aren't that the school will not do it.  Single gender, I think, can be especially good for girls, where tradition has typically de-emphasized science and math...

kristen0812
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:49 AM
5 moms liked this
I went to an all girls high school and it was one of the greatest experiences I've ever had. Maybe I'm biased but I think they're awesome.
weezer_cookie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:49 AM
I love attending a women's college. If we had the option, I would absolutely put both of my kids in a single-gender school.
lexiloo714
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I can see pros and cons of single gender and mixed gender schools
j3st3r
by Jedi on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I attended an all-women's university for a year.  I loved it and encourage all young women to seek out such schools.

I transferred out, though, because they didn't have the major I was interested in at the time.

poshkat
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:51 AM
I'm torn...I grew up near a lot of single gender schools. The girls were always slutty, sleeping around, cutting classes, fighting with us in public schools.

the boys were always very nice, gentlemen, never took advantage of any girl, and were pretty upset that one of the all boys private schools was going co-ed.

my mom tried to get me into an all girls private school but I was 6 months too young since it was a high school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:53 AM

they've been around for centuries....whats the big deal?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)