Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A customer almost made me cry today!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 54 Replies
20 moms liked this
I'm a grocery store cashier. It may not be much, but it's my job and I work hard, and compose myself professionally at work.

I had a customer the other day paying with FS. He was having some trouble with his card (our system is kind of confusing), so I helped him out. He kept apologizing, so I told him it wasn't a big deal, because it wasn't. When he was done, he came over to thank me for being so nice and treating him like a customer. It never occured to me to not to, he was a customer just like everyone else in the store.

Well, today he came back in, with a thank you present! He said it's been so long since someone treated him as a person that it was refreshing to see that nice people still existed (apparently he's in a shelter, so people treat him differently?) I was so touched, yet also so sad. I couldn't imagine how he feels if that simple act of me helping him was such a big deal to him. Why do people treat each other like they're worthless? To me, a person is a person, no matter what they may or may not have. And a customer is a customer, no matter what they look like. I hope he becomes a regular of mine, a smile and kind word cost me nothing.

Sorry for the novel, lol. I was just saddened by this man's honest surprise and appreciation.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulyBabies
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this

It makes you feel so good yet so sad when someone is that appreciative and surprised by common courtesy.

DisabledVet
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:43 PM
5 moms liked this

Thank you for being a good human being. It's a shame that our "public servants" aren't more like you. clapping

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Good for you, I'm glad you brightened his day :) goes to show you never know how far your kindness will go
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:44 PM
2 moms liked this
Didn't happen.
woodswalker
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:46 PM

This is why i just dont understand all those "I hate people who use food stamps" posts.   

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:46 PM
Exactly!

Quoting JulyBabies:

It makes you feel so good yet so sad when someone is that appreciative and surprised by common courtesy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:48 PM
2 moms liked this
That's fine if you don't believe me. I'm the one that gets to enjoy the chocolate :)

Quoting Anonymous: Didn't happen.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:49 PM
The sad part is, is that I did nothing extraordinary. I just treated him like a person. I didn't realize that was so uncommon :(

Quoting DisabledVet:

Thank you for being a good human being. It's a shame that our "public servants" aren't more like you. clapping

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Kindness and basic human decency have become so rare these days that it's kind of scary to see them.

tiniowien
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:50 PM

I used to help when I worked for Kmart our card machine was confusing with small writing. I would run the machine and help them if I could tell they didn't have a clue, if it just required prompts of what to do I told them if they couldn't see the screen I pushed the prompts. Was it hard no, but my customers that had issues with seeing loved it 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)