Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A customer almost made me cry today!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 54 Replies
20 moms liked this
I'm a grocery store cashier. It may not be much, but it's my job and I work hard, and compose myself professionally at work.

I had a customer the other day paying with FS. He was having some trouble with his card (our system is kind of confusing), so I helped him out. He kept apologizing, so I told him it wasn't a big deal, because it wasn't. When he was done, he came over to thank me for being so nice and treating him like a customer. It never occured to me to not to, he was a customer just like everyone else in the store.

Well, today he came back in, with a thank you present! He said it's been so long since someone treated him as a person that it was refreshing to see that nice people still existed (apparently he's in a shelter, so people treat him differently?) I was so touched, yet also so sad. I couldn't imagine how he feels if that simple act of me helping him was such a big deal to him. Why do people treat each other like they're worthless? To me, a person is a person, no matter what they may or may not have. And a customer is a customer, no matter what they look like. I hope he becomes a regular of mine, a smile and kind word cost me nothing.

Sorry for the novel, lol. I was just saddened by this man's honest surprise and appreciation.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulyBabies
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this

It makes you feel so good yet so sad when someone is that appreciative and surprised by common courtesy.

DisabledVet
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:43 PM
5 moms liked this

Thank you for being a good human being. It's a shame that our "public servants" aren't more like you. clapping

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Good for you, I'm glad you brightened his day :) goes to show you never know how far your kindness will go
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:44 PM
2 moms liked this
Didn't happen.
woodswalker
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:46 PM

This is why i just dont understand all those "I hate people who use food stamps" posts.   

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:46 PM
Exactly!

Quoting JulyBabies:

It makes you feel so good yet so sad when someone is that appreciative and surprised by common courtesy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:48 PM
2 moms liked this
That's fine if you don't believe me. I'm the one that gets to enjoy the chocolate :)

Quoting Anonymous: Didn't happen.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:49 PM
The sad part is, is that I did nothing extraordinary. I just treated him like a person. I didn't realize that was so uncommon :(

Quoting DisabledVet:

Thank you for being a good human being. It's a shame that our "public servants" aren't more like you. clapping

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Kindness and basic human decency have become so rare these days that it's kind of scary to see them.

tiniowien
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:50 PM

I used to help when I worked for Kmart our card machine was confusing with small writing. I would run the machine and help them if I could tell they didn't have a clue, if it just required prompts of what to do I told them if they couldn't see the screen I pushed the prompts. Was it hard no, but my customers that had issues with seeing loved it 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN