Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Long distance relationship success stories?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

Anyone have any? I am with a guy who lives 7 hours away. We just started dating but have known each other for years. I really like him but I do have worries!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 3, 2014 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 12:13 PM

DH and I were stationed together in California when we started dating.  Then he had to go to Nebraska a few months in.  We did long distance for a few more months, then he came out to marry me, and I went to Texas.  I did 6 months in Texas before being able to join him in Nebraska again!  It was AGONIZING at times!

The key is communication.  You have to find fun ways to continue feeling connected and intimate despite the distance.

sarah824
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 12:16 PM

DH & I worked together for a few years and then when I went through my divorce I moved 1,100 miles away but stayed with the same parent company. After being gone for about 7 or 8 months, DH and I started emailing each other (no contact before that) and then it turned into hours long phone calls every night. I came to visit him once and he came to visit me once. A few months later I moved in with him. We have been together for just over 11 years now and we will celebrate out 10th wedding anniversary in March. It worked for us!

nanasue31204
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Dh and I did the long distance relationship thing for over a year when we first started dating. He lived in Massachusetts and I was in Florida, we were 17/16 and met over summer vacation while he was visiting his sister. We spent 21 days together before he had to go home and we kept in touch by writing letters and were only allowed to call each other once a week. No one thought we would make it because we were so young and neither of us had ever dated anyone else before but we both knew by the end of our first date that we'd be married someday. We've now been head over heels in love for 15 1/2 years and married almost 11 and we actually like that we had that distance between us because it forced us to get to know each without all the physical stuff getting in the way. It took a lot of work, trust and communication to make it work and when we did get back in the same state we moved in together within 4 months, which took adjusting to.
masonmansmommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 12:23 PM

I have known DH since high school, but we didn't date until I was in grad school in my late 20's. Long story short, I attended a semester of grad school in our hometown after I had moved away. After that summer I went back to where I had just purchased a home ans was employed 6 1/2 hours away. We did that for just about 2 years until we married. One of use drove back and forth nearly every weekend. 10 years and 2 kids later, still very happy! It CAN work!

Rebecca7708
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 12:24 PM
My husband and I did the long distance thing for 9 months. He was in Oklahoma, I was in Maine. We have been married almost 6 years now and have two boys.
COREYS144
by New Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Hi.  I have been dating someone wonderful for 3 months now.  I knew him in high school, now we are both divorced and reunited through facebook.  He lives about 2-2.5 hours away.  We both have kids and see each other every other weekend when we don't have our kids.  It sucks because I've fallen in love with him, and I want so much more and I know he feels the same but with us each having kids there's not much of a choice, he says.

I'm thinking of just ending it because I feel like I'm constantly let down or alone.  My kids are older than his, they are in 8th and 9th grades so they are often out for sports or friends.  His daughter is 7.  He gets her every other weekend so I also think to myself, why can't he live here and get her every other weekend??  If that is truly the only reason that he feels he needs to stay?  My kids live with me and go with their dad every other weekend.

I'm sad except for the time we are going to see each other and I think I need more.  I should have used my head!!

Now, I'm going to be hurt regardless, but maybe there is someone else as wonderful?? :(

sad.

suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I was in NYC, my boyfriend was in Montreal! We dated long distance until he proposed. Then I moved to Quebec. We have been married over 13 years now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Yep, I went away to college while DH (a grade younger than me, same age) was a senior in high school. 14 hours and 500 miles away, saw each other twice a year. He moved in with me 2 years later, we got engaged after 6 years of dating, and were married last Nov.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)