Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Pregnancy and smoking....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 172 Replies
I just found out I'm pregnant. And I am a few months along. I smoke upwards of two packs a day. I asked if I could get help and I was told no. I have to quit cold turkey. And I have tried before and I can't and I am trying now and still can't. What do I do? Why can't they give me something? The little amount of nicotine in patches has to be better than me smoking two packs!?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 4, 2014 at 1:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
daisy_farts12
by Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 1:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Taper down, cut out a few cigs a day over a few weeks till you're down to zero. Quitting cold turkey is a bitch, I've been there..
wonderstruck11
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 1:45 AM

Damn, 2 packs a day? That is a lot of money! I know a friend asked if she could use the patch while pregnant and they told her no because of other chemicals in the patch. She used it anyway (yeah, she is a moron) and she ended up breaking out in hives because of it. She had to just quit cold turkey. She was a BITCH for about a week but then got over it. She realized that her babies health was way more important than smoking.

PoisonEyeV
by ☆ No Ragrets ☆ on Jan. 4, 2014 at 1:47 AM
9 moms liked this

Mind over matter. Just pull up your big girl pants and do it. Your baby comes before your gross habits.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 4, 2014 at 1:48 AM
I can't. I live with other smokers....there is no way for me to so it cold turkey. And the patch has to have less chemicals then a damn cig so why is the answer no? If it helps it better than me smoking the whole time right?

Quoting wonderstruck11:

Damn, 2 packs a day? That is a lot of money! I know a friend asked if she could use the patch while pregnant and they told her no because of other chemicals in the patch. She used it anyway (yeah, she is a moron) and she ended up breaking out in hives because of it. She had to just quit cold turkey. She was a BITCH for about a week but then got over it. She realized that her babies health was way more important than smoking.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 4, 2014 at 1:50 AM
I have tried that too, I stress smoke so it makes it so hard to cut down.

Quoting daisy_farts12: Taper down, cut out a few cigs a day over a few weeks till you're down to zero. Quitting cold turkey is a bitch, I've been there..
samyee33
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 1:51 AM
This. Stop saying CAN'T. you can....I did it cold turkey and so can you. It's really REALLY hard, but not impossible.

Quoting PoisonEyeV:

Mind over matter. Just pull up your big girl pants and do it. Your baby comes before your gross habits.

wonderstruck11
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 1:53 AM

Just follow your doctors orders. You shoudn' be inhaling second hand smoke while pregnant anyway, so maybe you can try to get the rest of your household to quit for a while, and do it as a team. If they don't want to quit, at least make them not smoke around you. The health of your child is more important that your need to smoke, so you are going to have to sacrifice. Stop making excuses and just do whats best for your child!
What if you try the e-cigs? My cousin had one and loved it.

Quoting Anonymous: I can't. I live with other smokers....there is no way for me to so it cold turkey. And the patch has to have less chemicals then a damn cig so why is the answer no? If it helps it better than me smoking the whole time right?

Quoting wonderstruck11:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 4, 2014 at 1:54 AM
But it doesn't work that way. I found that out. I live with other smokers and I failed twice before because when I saw them or smelled it I couldn't stop. They won't stop so it's not like I can ask them to stop either. I have health issues. I have a history of high bp and asthma. I have tried very hard to stop before when I wound up in the hospital. I need help or it won't happen. I already had two kids who weighed 5 lbs and I didn't smoke! So I know smoking will really hurt this baby....

Quoting PoisonEyeV:

PoisonEyeV
by ☆ No Ragrets ☆ on Jan. 4, 2014 at 1:56 AM
4 moms liked this

All I hear are excuses. Stop being such a shitty person and just DO IT.

Quoting Anonymous: But it doesn't work that way. I found that out. I live with other smokers and I failed twice before because when I saw them or smelled it I couldn't stop. They won't stop so it's not like I can ask them to stop either. I have health issues. I have a history of high bp and asthma. I have tried very hard to stop before when I wound up in the hospital. I need help or it won't happen. I already had two kids who weighed 5 lbs and I didn't smoke! So I know smoking will really hurt this baby....

Quoting PoisonEyeV:

lesalmi
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 1:57 AM
Do not quit cold turkey!!! Cut back. Cold turkey will shock your body and that's actually worse for your baby.

Does anyone else you know want to quit? I found quitting with a friend made it easier. Other than one or two when drinking every now and then I haven't had a cigarette in almost 3 years.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN