Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What's with the weird a** nicknames for your kids?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 743 Replies
My sister calls my son bug. I find it offensive and told her so. He doesn't look like a damn bug. Some nicknames aren't bad, like Pumpkin or Sweetie, but things like Bug, Monster, Oogie Boogie are just plain insulting to a child.

Does your child have a nickname? If so, what is it and why?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 4, 2014 at 6:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 6:17 AM
3 moms liked this
We call DS Munka.
It just happened. I have always been anti Nick name, but he was a chunky baby so we called him.chunky monkey. Which turned chunka munka and Munka has now stuck!

DD is just called her name, Anisa.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 4, 2014 at 6:17 AM
Ive always called dd1 fred and dd2 applesauce. Why? Dunno. I never coined a nickname for ds though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 4, 2014 at 6:19 AM
49 moms liked this
My sisters nickname evolved into "butt" when she was 3 and she still responds to it. She loves the nickname.

I think you need to chill.
rosemagic01
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 6:24 AM
17 moms liked this

LOL. Ok. I call my son both bug and monster. Those are his nicknames and he's never found them offensive.

Why? I don't know. He was baby monster when he was little because he never ever sat still and raised hell all the time so I ended up calling him Baby Monster. Now he's Liam Monster. Bug is for when he's being cute and sweet. He curls up in a ball and sits in my lap even though he's 8. He seems to think he's smaller than he actually is.

I have a friend who calls her kids punks. They love it because its said with love and its what she's always called them. You shouldn't let things bug you so much words only have power if you give it to them.

Perstephane92
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 6:24 AM
10 moms liked this
We actually used Bug while I was pregnant - short for Love Bug - because we didn't know the gender, but didn't want to call LO "it". I still use it once in awhile out of habit. Most people I know who use Bug are using it as short for Love Bug.
AVSpecWife4
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 6:24 AM
2 moms liked this

Really....?

I call my oldest son "Kyle bug" or my dd "Serena bug". It's not a big deal. I think you're over reacting OP and need to chill. 

edit - wow this got over 600 responses? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 4, 2014 at 6:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Boo.. My mom called me that. People always ask why I call him that. I don't know my mom just called me that.
squocket
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 6:28 AM

My 6mo. old is "Wiggler" or "the Wiggle".

readyforhim
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 6:28 AM
3 moms liked this

these are not offensive they are meant to be funny.

my middle son calls my youngest punky chunky monkey because the little guy likes to rhyme everything. And he laughs so hard when he hears it...

Gingerbell.RN
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 6:30 AM
3 moms liked this
I had a patient yesterday amd her nick name was "cooter" lol!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)