Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My daughter didn't come visit for Christmas because she couldn't bring her dog.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 686 Replies
2 moms liked this

Her and I are still fighting about this.

I hate dogs. I don't want one in my house. My daughter lives in a different state and was going to come for a week. A few days before, she sent me a text saying "Molly (her dog), Steve (her boyfriend) and I are so excited to come!" I called her and said I thought she knew Molly wasn't welcome since she knows I hate dogs. 

She tried to book a hotel but all the ones that are dog friendly were full. I told her to find a kennel to board the dog at but she said "I'm not leaving the dog at a busy kennel for a week over Christmas". So, on Chrismas Eve, she called and said they weren't coming anymore. 

We both think the other is being ridiculous. What do you think?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:54 PM
88 moms liked this

I would put aside my dislike of dogs to not force my daughter to pay for an overpriced kennel or hotel over Christmas and to ensure I'd get to see her without putting her in a tight spot, but that's just me. 

acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:54 PM
4 moms liked this
I happen to like pets but I would have told her the dog needed a kennel to be in my house. It couldn't just roam free.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cateringtomel
by Anna_Elijah on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:55 PM
29 moms liked this
I think if you really wanted to see her bad enough you wouldn't have cared if she brought her dog?

And I wouldn't leave my dogs alone for a week.

The dog could have been kept in the room they were staying in, if they stayed with you
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:55 PM
4 moms liked this
You are. I see why she didn't come.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I hate dogs, too. Not sure what I'd do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:55 PM
6 moms liked this
I say you're being rediculous. She tried to get a dog friendly hotel to accommodate your wishes, it's not her fault they were full, and I wouldn't blame her for not wanting to put her dog in a kennel, especially over Christmas. If you really wanted to see your daughter, you would have just put up with the dog. It was only for a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:55 PM
7 moms liked this

I am a dog owner.  I have travelled many places with my dog -and without my dog.

Did you specifically tell her she couldn't bring the dog?  Or did you just "assume" that since she KNOWS you hate dogs, that you hate hers too, and would refuse to allow her to visit if she brings the dog?

If you didn't specifically tell her the dog was not welcome when plans were first made - I'm on her side.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this
You have her a choice. She tried, it didn't work. I don't blame her. And I don't care for dogs
j3st3r
by Jedi on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I let my sister bring her 95 pound lab for the holidays.

I would think you could make an exception.
bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:56 PM
30 moms liked this
I wouldn't allow a dog in my home either so I guess I side with you. Dog lovers & animal lovers in general don't get it but not everyone wants an animal in their home.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN