Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If physical diseases were treated like mental illness

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies
2 moms liked this

Physical diseases vs. Mental illnesses

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 4, 2014 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
20mommy14
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 9:03 PM
I love this- I've seen it before when my sister posted it (she's a psych major). Some people just don't understand how hard mental illness can be!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 4, 2014 at 9:09 PM
2 moms liked this

This is another good one...

"Depression is not selfish.  Anxiety is not rude.  Schizophrenia is not wrong.  Mental illness isn't self-centered, any more than a broken leg or the flu is self-centered.  If your mental illness makes you feel guilty, review the definition of 'illness' and try to treat yourself with the same respect and concern you would show to a cancer patient or a person with pneumonia."

Quoting 20mommy14: I love this- I've seen it before when my sister posted it (she's a psych major). Some people just don't understand how hard mental illness can be!

cymkare
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 9:09 PM

The problem is that a lot of people without mental illness use it as an excuse for bad behavior. 

They claim to have a mental illness but actually don't and it makes people think they aren't that bad.

For example, how many people do you hear claim that they have OCD, bipolar, etc just to justify being lazy or weird. Or not wanting to do a job properly, or to get on disability? 

My friends tease me about being OCD all the time and say I am but I'm not. I just like things neat, organized and in their place. 

I am not saying that people with mental illness are like this. I am saying people without mental illness claim they have it and make it look bad. 

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 4, 2014 at 9:12 PM

No boo-hooing here.

I'm cracking up at OP's imagery.

Cereal.

:)~

20mommy14
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 9:21 PM
I'll have to show her that one, though she will point out that schizophrenia is no longer an illness. To clarify- the issues associated with schizophrenia are real, but are now known to be because of another mental illness, I don't remember which one though... So basically they are saying it doesn't exist as a diagnosis anymore -the things diagnosed as schizophrenia are symptoms of something else.... Kind of like saying there is no such thing as just having runny nose, it's either a cold or allergies

Quoting Anonymous:

This is another good one...

"Depression is not selfish.  Anxiety is not rude.  Schizophrenia is not wrong.  Mental illness isn't self-centered, any more than a broken leg or the flu is self-centered.  If your mental illness makes you feel guilty, review the definition of 'illness' and try to treat yourself with the same respect and concern you would show to a cancer patient or a person with pneumonia."

Quoting 20mommy14: I love this- I've seen it before when my sister posted it (she's a psych major). Some people just don't understand how hard mental illness can be!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)