Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you help this person?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 305 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you have helped her out?

Options:

yes

no

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 394

View Results

A young lady posted a few nights ago to our local community news page on facebook that she needed help.  She was out of formula, diapers, and wipes for her 8 WEEK old baby.    

She admitted right from the start she is a single mom getting $375 a month in food stamps, but needed all that to feed herself and couldn't afford to spend any of her food stamps on a can of formula.  She also said her next WIC appointment was the 20th. 

From the start people questioned her how she was already out of food stamps since it was just after the first of the month and she just got them AND how she was out of her WIC formula because if her appointment was the 20th, that would be BEFORE her checks ran out.

She came up with one excuse after another (mainly she had no family, the father ran out on her, and had no income at all) but swore that her 8 week old baby had went through all of the formula from her WIC.  30 cans in 8 weeks.  As for the food stamps, she said she only got half and will get the other half later in the month, so she needed what she got for herself.  (Our state did change the schedule this month and yes, people got half on their old deposit date and will get the other half about 10 days later.)

Some people were nice and told her they would help and started rounding up formula, diapers, wipes, clothing, anything they could come up with for a baby.  

Others questioned her further about did she work, how she went through that much food stamps for ONE person since the baby got WIC and they bought all of the formula, plus, since she had just had a baby, she was still probably getting some WIC for herself.

She eventually broke down and admitted she sold most of her food stamps in December and her WIC formula to buy Christmas gifts for the baby.  She was counting on  the local food banks and charities could help her out but with it being right after Christmas, they were all pretty well tapped out and not much help.

About 75% of the people who had earlier promised to help immediately backed out saying they didn't trust her to not turn around a sell what they were giving her since she had already admitted to selling her food stamps and WIC.  A small handful were still willing to help just in case, so the baby wouldn't go hungry.  

Would you have helped her? 

eta: I thought I would be torn to pieces for not wanting to help.  I feel bad for the baby, I truly do, but to me this is a case of you can only help those that help themselves and well, JMHO, she had no intention of helping herself, unless you count the fact she was helping herself to other peoples kindness and good will.

ETA2:  Screen shots were taken and she was reported to DCFS and WIC.  The bad part of that is that she will lose her benefits.  With no income, that means no formula.  Will DCFS/CPS step in before the baby starves to death?  She has no family according to her, the father is gone, and she has very few friends.  I know it is a crime to sell your food stamps but in the end, her losing her benefits is going to hurt the baby more than it will her if she is unable to afford formula and this baby falls through the cracks.  So just my personal opinion, no, I wouldn't have helped her any further but I wouldn't have reported her either for the sake of the baby.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmjmlj
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:28 PM
No
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:28 PM
19 moms liked this

No.  I'd of called CPS.

Lindzlou91
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:29 PM
44 moms liked this
Who the fuck lets their newborn go without food so it can have Christmas presents? Is she retarded?!
hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:30 PM
2 moms liked this
I want to say no. She fucked up and now can figure out how to deal. But the issue is its not her who will be the one suffering, its her 8 week old. Yeah I guess you could report her, and call cps. But neither of those will help with the now.
LadyBugMom09
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:31 PM
2 moms liked this
I would've helped for the sake of the baby. It's not his fault his mother is an idiot.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:31 PM
3 moms liked this
Yes. I wouldnt want the baby to starve
wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this

No. An 8 week old needs food more.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:33 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting Lindzlou91: Who the fuck lets their newborn go without food so it can have Christmas presents? Is she retarded?!

That was the general consensus of the people that backed out.  Christmas gifts for a 7 week old baby?  And selling its FOOD to get them?  Beyond ridiculous.

carolyntx
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:34 PM
5 moms liked this
An 8 week old doesn't need Christmas presents, that's stupid.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Quoting LadyBugMom09: I would've helped for the sake of the baby. It's not his fault his mother is an idiot.

So if you went and spent the money on a can of formula, wouldn't you be worried that she would turn around and sell it too?  Or try to return it to the store for money or store credit?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)