Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why does this always have to be so sterotypical?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am so tired of various people making coments on my husbands sexuality. He is going to school to be an interior decorator, he happens to enjoy decorating and doing things of that sort. Always has. But friends and even family keep saying that is so "gay" and that is something that he must be "gay" in order to be good at/interested in something like that for work. It is really bugging me that everyone keeps saying this. Yes he has a good fasion sense and is good at matching things, but does that automatically make him gay? I say no. But everyone else seems to say yes it does.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
swampass101
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Tell them to have a big cup of STFU and to mind their own business.

#Mrs.SwampAss
NBean311
by Chivette on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:17 PM

The same gender stereotype is applied to many professions. It isn't right, but it is something that you deal with. 

momma219
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:17 PM
Absolutely not!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't let it bother you. I'll bet they shut up when he has his own show on HGTV!!! :-) It can happen.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol. My dh is a manly man - narcotics officer. He's also great at decorating - did our whole house - but we keep it on the downlow because he would be mocked relentlessly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:19 PM

well some men has ben married to their wives over 20 years and they have children together, and after all that some of them do out themselves after that many years

so are you sure?

luvmybug
by Amanda on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this
My DF is a fantastic decorator and has awesome fashion sense. I don't think HE's gay... Obviously.
caito
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:20 PM

I guess people say that because they're unoriginal and honestly don't know how to react to it. Like maybe it makes them uncomfortable, and they don't know how else to express it. That's their problem, not yours.

Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it's stereotyping per se. More of its typical seeing a gay male interior designer. But if your husband's family and friends haven't figured out he's straight by now, there's no hope for them. Just ignore those people, because they have no clue what they're talking about.

BubbasMa12
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:30 PM
My husband is kind of the same. Hes good at matching colors and makeup. He was a photographer and he use to do the makeup and hair of the models. He is very much straight. But we don't care what other people say about him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured