Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Tax question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
When DH and I first got married we used H&R block for our taxes, but after that first year we just used turbo tax. I wondered if there really was a difference and if we should still do our own taxes or if we should go back to a preparer. I always wonder if we are missing credits and could get back more money than we do.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2014 at 1:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CampClan
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 1:47 AM
Way cheaper! That's the only difference I saw. It walks you through it. Not sure what kinds of credits you were looking for though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 5, 2014 at 1:49 AM
Turbo tax is cheaper? Last year our taxes cost us $100 for standard submitting. I don't know what all a prepared could get us aside from what we automatically get through TT.

Quoting CampClan: Way cheaper! That's the only difference I saw. It walks you through it. Not sure what kinds of credits you were looking for though.
steffielou_who
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 1:50 AM

I do turbotax.. For sure!

Preparer's charge too much!

Short_cake88
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 1:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a niece that's a CPA! Free-done-taxes! Lol otherwise I'd never use one

mailismom
by Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 1:53 AM
1 mom liked this
H&r block also does second looks. They are free. Have them check out last years then you can decide what to do for this year
MrsRobinson06
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 1:55 AM
We use turbo tax and always get a discount online. I think we pay 40. I like how it goes through every single option so you dont miss out on any credits.
KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 1:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Depends. Do you have a complex (itemized) return or do you usually find it better to just take the standard deductions? If its just the standard deductions, then why pay for tax prep? If you are worried take a short tax prep course.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 5, 2014 at 1:58 AM
No we usually do standard deductions. I might look into a tax prep class!
NatesMom2011
by Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 2:52 AM

I dont find that there is any difference my SO mom is an accountant and she said that they basically use the same program as the quick tax its just a way for them to get money out of people at tax time. Quick tax for me is $80 and to file my taxes through HR block with my 2 work slips and student loan information will cost me 130 im all for saving cash whenever i can. The only downside is HR block gives instant returns for certin people and with quick tax need to wait. Direct depositing is also a way to get your money faster through quick tax if you need it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 5, 2014 at 2:56 AM
I've done it both ways & I will keep doing it myself unless I own my own business, become a landlord or something like that. Taxes don't confuse me & I've considered taking the training courses to become certified. Its pretty basic math that just looks confusing but there is a lot of stupid rules
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)