Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do people think others avoid marriage for assistance?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 197 Replies
I've seen people on here before say people don't get married because they want to keep their assistance.

I got assistance for about 15 months around 6 years ago. 13/15 months of that I was married.

So I don't understand why people think if you're married you can't get assistance? We were able to get food stamps and medicaid for our child and then after those 15 months dh got a promotion and I got moved to full time

Are you not allowed assistance in some states if married?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2014 at 5:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2014 at 5:11 AM
I don't assume that but I know someone who is not getting married so they get assistance. They aren't claiming his income.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 5, 2014 at 5:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh ok. Well I understand what someone means if they aren't claiming the income.

When we got it I still had to report dh income even before we were married it just asked for household income I believe. Thank god we don't get It anymore I felt humiliated being on pa

Quoting Anonymous: I don't assume that but I know someone who is not getting married so they get assistance. They aren't claiming his income.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2014 at 5:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Because if these ones got married they couldn't collect as much.
Sunshine257
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 5:13 AM
I think it is less maybe..? I don't know but I have heard of people doing this.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 5, 2014 at 5:15 AM
I can't remember If ours changed once we got married or not. If it did I don't think it was dramatically.

I've just seen some posts where people act like you can't get any at all or something and didn't get it lol. I'm sure there maybe some out there like that

Quoting Sunshine257: I think it is less maybe..? I don't know but I have heard of people doing this.
thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 5:18 AM
I know someone that has done that.she claims she rents from him so they can keep her benefits.

She has 3 kids, works a min wage job when she feels like it.

She's always been trashy though.

That's the only story I know of.

I don't think it's terribly common, but like all other abuses it does happen.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2014 at 5:19 AM
Thats stupid. in nebraska they count income of every household member whether youre married or related or not.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2014 at 5:23 AM
Yep. If they marry and include his income they would lose the assistance. My cousin does this.

Quoting Anonymous: I don't assume that but I know someone who is not getting married so they get assistance. They aren't claiming his income.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2014 at 6:23 AM
It still does, they lie to cheat the system.

Quoting Anonymous: Oh ok. Well I understand what someone means if they aren't claiming the income.

When we got it I still had to report dh income even before we were married it just asked for household income I believe. Thank god we don't get It anymore I felt humiliated being on pa

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:10 AM
That's how it is here too

Quoting Anonymous: Thats stupid. in nebraska they count income of every household member whether youre married or related or not.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)