Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How many unvaccinated kids in the U.S. die each day from "preventable diseases"?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Truly curious.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:26 AM
Replies (111-117):
sara82lee
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 11:30 AM
And I've definitely learned you can't just blindly trust a doctor. After seeing numerous docs for my dd I finally got an accurate diagnosis. The rest just threw out a name of what it looked like to them and gave her a prescription. I learned to do my own research from that experience.

Quoting Anonymous: :(

Please do some research. I have spent countless hours researching for years. Please don't take what doctors and government officials say at face value. They never tell the whole truth.

Quoting sara82lee: I have never heard that. How do you know this?

Quoting Anonymous: All states except for two (NY is not one of them) have up to three exemptions for mandated vaccine laws. Philosophical, medical and religious. If the school takes any funding from the government, they MUST accept the exemptions within their state.

No one will tell you this. No one will offer this information up. They all say its mandatory and hope noone sees through their bullshit.

Quoting sara82lee: Of course the private ones can make whatever rules they want.

But the only public one in the area (somehow run through the school system - not head start but you had to qualify financially, which she did), also required it.

There was no preschool, public or private, in her area that would take her son without the vaccine.

My point is that requiring flu shots is becoming more prevalent, gov't regulated or not. Never said anything about how a private school can't make their own decisions.

Quoting Anonymous: If they're a private institution and receive no government funding, then they have every right to.

Quoting sara82lee: My dh's aunt in NJ pulled her kid out of preschool bc all of the preschools in her area required it. Not a law in her state (I don't think), just a policy of the schools.

Quoting Anonymous: That's sad. I hope their exemption laws would still apply.

Quoting Anonymous: yes they are in some states...NYC just passed a law REQUIRING ALL CHILDREN UNDER 6 to get a flu vax or NO entry to school or daycareQuoting Anonymous: Fortunately those are not required. :)

Quoting Anonymous: very true...esp for opting out of the flu shot or chicken pox shotQuoting Anonymous: Yes. You can have all vaccinations except for ONE and you would need to request for an exemption.

kmugs
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, I am a bit of a vaccine geek, and I find these stats difficult to find.

You best bet is to probably go through individual outbreaks and see if you can find the data for them. If you have lots of time to devote to this, you might want to go through several outbreaks  of one disease and see if there is a pattern.   In some instances, the disease rates are so low that we are going to have difficulty drawing conclusions anyways. Be careful of wording - sometimes they lump those who did not have the full series in with unvaxxed, and sometimes they lump them in with vaxxed.  When we get lucky, they parse them out in there own category.   Is there a particular disease you are interested in?

I can rule one disease out for you right now - pertussis.

Almost all pertussis deaths are in children who are less than 3 months old.  The relevant factor in pertussis is age, not vaccine status.  

Quoting Anonymous: This is where I find it difficult finding statistics with vaxed vs unvaxed. :(

Quoting Anonymous:

0 or less than one.

When they do it is of:

-influenza

-pertussis 

-menigococcal or pneumococcal

Alll of the above are vaccine with serious limitations on them.  In short, the unvaccinated might still have gotten and died from the disease even if they were vaccinated.

SamiJ18
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 11:45 AM
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/spotlights/children-flu-deaths.htm

For the 2012-2013 flu season, 90% of the children who died were unvaccinated. There were 105 pediatric deaths last season.

This was on the first page of results when I googled it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2014 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

The CDC is quoted, in that article,  as saying the vaccine may be less effective than earlier versions and that may be contributing to the spike.

Non-vaxxers do not vaccinate against anything.  If non-vaxxers are to blame for the spike, why aren't we seeing other diseases (diphtheria, polio, rubella, etc) consistently going up?  We aren't.  

The pertussis vaccine is not good enough.  I think that is where efforts need to go, not on whining about the very small percentage of people (who do not owe me anything) who choose not to vaccinate.  The vaccine in use is not effective enough - that is a problem.  

Quoting Anonymous:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/health/policy/whooping-cough-epidemic-hits-washington-state.html?_r=0

Quoting Anonymous: Show me.

Quoting Anonymous:

Also the 'herd immunity' benefit of immunization still pretects the unvaccinated, as long as ~90% of people still recieve the vaccine. Look at some of the spikes in whooping cough where the local area's immunity dropped to 80something%. 

Quoting momto2boys973: Since the increase innon-vaccinated children is a fairly recent phenomenon, it's possible there's no reliable data available yet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Nice find!

It turns out only about 40% of kids get the flu vaccines, so, without question, most people who die of influenza would be unvaxxed. 

I would be interested in learning how many of those kids were under 6 months.  All kids under 6 months are technically "unvaxxed" but they cannot be vaxxed because they are too young.  

Still, 90% is quite the number.  It must have been a good strain match last year ;)

Quoting SamiJ18: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/spotlights/children-flu-deaths.htm

For the 2012-2013 flu season, 90% of the children who died were unvaccinated. There were 105 pediatric deaths last season.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 5, 2014 at 11:59 AM
I still wonder how many of these children were under 6 months of age?

Quoting Anonymous:

Nice find!

It turns out only about 40% of kids get the flu vaccines, so, without question, most people who die of influenza would be unvaxxed. 

Quoting SamiJ18: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/spotlights/children-flu-deaths.htm

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2014 at 2:25 PM
http://amhistory.si.edu/polio/timeline/index.htm

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aso/databank/entries/dm52sa.html

http://www.vaccines.com/polio-ipv-vaccine-information.cfm

I'm on my phone so I can't make them hyperlinks but feel free to send me your data

Quoting Anonymous:

You're wrong.

That 85% decline was between the years 1951 and 1955.

THEN the vaccine was introduced in 1956 when the death rate for Polio was already close to zero.

Look it up.

Quoting Anonymous: After the polio vaccine was introduced the disease took an 85% decline. If you'd like to thank clean water go for it but I'd like to give a shout out to Dr Jonas Salk for virtually eradicating Polio from the US

Quoting Anonymous:

Reading comprehension obviously ins't your strong suite.

I never said small pox and polio weren't a big deal.

I simply said these illnesses were on a steep and steady decline LONG before the vaccine was introduced (which means the vaccines are useless).

Quoting Anonymous: Because small pox and polio were no big deal in American history lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Depends where they live.

In 3rd world countries they die all the time. But that's not because they are unvaccinated. It's because they don't have proper sanitation, clean water, etc.

Unvaccinated children living in industrialized nations very rarely get sick.

The childhood illnesses we vaccinate against were on a steep and steady decline long before the vaccine was ever introduced, thanks to things like proper sanitation, better personal hygiene, etc. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)