Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

1978 Blizzard

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 8:56 PM
  • 127 Replies

I am seeing people on Facebook starting to compare the snow there to the Blizzard of '78. Now I wasn't alive then so I don't have personal experience but I have heard stories about it. My mom telling me that they could walk out the 2nd story window on to the snow. My Grandpa helped with other volunteers deliver food. 

http://video.wbgu.org/video/1401955660/

This is just a few stories and gives you a glimpse if you never heard of it.

If you lived threw it or have heard stories feel free to share.

Edit: My family is in Ohio and that is where the stories I got are from. 

by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Well, we had the blizzard of 2011 here in Chicago, which many compared to 1978. I don;t think it was as much, but it was the only time I'd seen snow halfway up my sliding glass door.

My parents were in 78, and they said they literally had to dig tunnels out of their homes.

imthatgirl0607
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 8:59 PM
Where was she?

I was n a boston suburb and we got 27 inches. She must have had a really tiny house.
bnj03
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:00 PM

I have seen pictures that my Grandma took when they could get out safely. It was insane. I wish I have them to show people. My Grandpa is 6'1" and the drifts where easily double his height.

Quoting KairisMama:

Well, we had the blizzard of 2011 here in Chicago, which many compared to 1978. I don;t think it was as much, but it was the only time I'd seen snow halfway up my sliding glass door.

My parents were in 78, and they said they literally had to dig tunnels out of their homes.

bnj03
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:01 PM

The snow drifts were easily 20 feet in some place.

Quoting imthatgirl0607: Where was she?

I was n a boston suburb and we got 27 inches. She must have had a really tiny house.

tlcory
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:02 PM

If it's the one I'm thinking of yes we had people sleeping on our floors (most houses lost heat and electric) we still had heat, guys went out on snowmobiles to get supplies.....um er booze! Lol

jucyfrut
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:03 PM
I was 10 years old. I remember wearing a shirt that said I survived the winter of.....
It was in the 70's, but not exactly sure of what year.
mistie900
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:04 PM
My mom went through it. She told me some stories about it. She said they had to shovel out of their house and that they could make tunnels in the snow. That is quite a lot of snow for this area. We have snow but not that much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imthatgirl0607
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:05 PM
Where?

The issue with that storm was they didnt know how much snow we were getting. Radars just werent that advanced. So instead of plowing and shoveling to stay ahead, they waited. Which trned out to be a really bad idea.

There wasnt feet and feet of snow.

Quoting bnj03:

bnj03
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:05 PM

My Grandpa said a lot of guys were doing that. Lots of people didn't have heat, food, water, electric. My grandparents house had a fireplace and wood burning stove so they could keep warm. 

Quoting tlcory:

If it's the one I'm thinking of yes we had people sleeping on our floors (most houses lost heat and electric) we still had heat, guys went out on snowmobiles to get supplies.....um er booze! Lol

bnj03
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Ohio

Quoting imthatgirl0607: Where?

The issue with that storm was they didnt know how much snow we were getting. Radars just werent that advanced. So instead of plowing and shoveling to stay ahead, they waited. Which trned out to be a really bad idea.

There wasnt feet and feet of snow.

Quoting bnj03:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)