Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

They're yanking them out!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 62 Replies
On Wednesday I'm scheduled to have two of my four wisdom teeth removed (the top ones) and then I will be referred to an oral surgeon to have the bottom two surgically removed. And I'm scares shitless!

I've never had a tooth pulled. My wisdom teeth have never caused issue, but within the last three months my mouth has been in constant pain. At that point I really honestly didn't care how the suckers came out, I just wanted them out! (and for those who never suffered tooth pain, that's not an exaggeration. You'll do just about anything to remove a tooth causing pain) Anyway, I finally made it into a dentist. Turns out I had an abcess, and was given antibiotics and pain relievers. After the first day of antibiotics, I didn't need the pain relief anymore, and now that I'm not in pain, I'm scares to have my teeth pulled! I'm such a sissy. A broken femur and two natural child births, and I'm crying over having some teeth pulled.

For those that had teeth pulled, how bad was the actual procedure (I won't be knocked out) and how bad was revovery? Any tips for avoiding dry socket (my larger fear)?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
withsecond
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:44 PM
It's not too bad. They will numb you up. It will just feel like pressure.
After it, it can be really uncomfortable.
caustinb
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:45 PM
I got knocked out for my wisdom teeth. I haven't had any others out. Sorry =(
withsecond
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:45 PM
Don't use straws and don't smoke. That's bad for dry sockets.
alexsmommy2010
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:45 PM
I had mine done at 18, but they had to give me ativan (spelling) before because I was flipping. See if they can perscribe that or something similar. My bottoms they put me to sleep. Make sure to rinse with saltwater after everything you do, it will help it heal faster. Good luck.
mrs_patterson
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:46 PM

I wish I had something better to say, but all I can do is tell you my experience. I was in the same boat; in so much pain I could do nothing but double over and cry and I finally got into a dentist & he said he could pull it for me, but it was infected so I had to have antibiotics first. Did that, went back and he gave me as much gas as he possibly could without knocking me completely out and it still hurt. BUT the roots on that particular wisdom tooth were also abnormally long, so that could have contributed to the level of pain I experienced. I will also say this: Once it was out, I have never felt relief like that in my life. To avoid dry socket, don't drink caffeinated drinks, don't drink from a straw and (IDK if you do or not) don't smoke. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

cymkare
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:46 PM

It's not near as bad as people make it out to be. During the procedure all you will feel is pressure.

Afterward, some pain but not a lot. The pain you had with the infected tooth was fifty times worse (I've had both an abscess and wisdom teeth pulled). 

To avoid a dry socket just don't make any sucking movements with your mouth. No spitting (wipe it out with a cloth or paper towel) no using a straw or smoking, etc. 

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

blondieinva80
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:47 PM
This

Quoting withsecond: Don't use straws and don't smoke. That's bad for dry sockets.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:48 PM
I've heard that about salt water. I'm paranoid that I'll wash the blood clot out lol. Told you I'm a sissy.

Quoting alexsmommy2010: I had mine done at 18, but they had to give me ativan (spelling) before because I was flipping. See if they can perscribe that or something similar. My bottoms they put me to sleep. Make sure to rinse with saltwater after everything you do, it will help it heal faster. Good luck.
moosesmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:48 PM
My experience wasn't that bad. I had all four removed at once. By the next day I was doing fairly well.

My husband (ex) that's a different story entirely. I've never seen a grow man cry like that...you'll be fine OP :-)
Bknotnobody
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:48 PM
I was knocked out when they removed all mine. Didn't get dry socket and had to be on a script prior to it because I had an infection. The pain I had afterwards was nothing compared to that infection. Lol. Best thing ever. Keep that in mind. There is an end to the pain you're in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)