Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't know. Am I a bad mom

So, since I buy my kids clothes at consignment stores and goodwill.. My family thinks that I don't care about how they look since I buy poor people clothes for my kids. It really hurts my feeling since I can't really afford new clothes for them. And I don't see buying brand new clothes since they grow out of them so fast. What do you all think am I bad mom because I shop at consignment stores and goodwill for my kids clothes??

by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 11:54 PM
Replies (111-120):
lilmamahen
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Not at all. I buy my daughters clothes at thrift stores. The clothes at these stores might be cheap but you can find some really good clothes there. A lady in my church found a brand new Christopher & Banks moleskin skirt, with the tag still on it for like 3 bucks. It is very rare when we buy our clothes at a retail store, and I know a lot of ppl in my town that shop that way and their kids don't look scrunge. They look well dressed and taken care of.

dance45133
by New Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 1:09 PM
My exs family tried that with me. Eventually my oldest daughter set them straight. She told them that she did not mind used clothes. That she never saw the reason in buying new. She then proceeded to tell them all the things we were able to do because we saved so much by buying used clothes. Until I got a call from my ex inlaws apologizing for their bad behavior I never even knew she had put 2 and 2 together.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 7, 2014 at 1:11 PM

It makes you a financially SMART mom!

We can afford new clothes, but use hand-me-downs and used clothes whenever we can!

My kids want the latest and greatest? Then they can get a job at 16. Im saving up for their college. theyll sooner thank me for the full ride to college than the Se7en brand jeans their friends have.

lizlaughlove
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 4:54 PM

No. You are clothing your kids. That's what matters. I have 3 boys. The biggest has the most new clothes. His sizes are hard to find. They have a mix of hand-me-downs, new and used. Why buy 3 new wardrobes with every growth spurt when the next one is not far ahead?

DesignerMom22
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 6:43 PM

No way your a smart mom you save for things that are more important like food and rent or whatever it is and your right they grow quick why buy new clothes when they might only where it once

peregrinus
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 6:49 PM

If it does then we can be bad moms together.  I buy all of my kids clothes at thrift stores.  There's no point in buying new until they're old enough to appreciate it.  My kids clothes are mostly all name brand and barely worn.  Nobody would know where I got them unless I tell them.

bluemountain75
by SoftballMom on Jan. 7, 2014 at 6:51 PM
No you're not a bad mom. Screw them.
9angel9
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:50 PM

You are NOT a bad mom. You are providing for your children the best you can. I dont care if they are family or not dont let them bring you down like that. Clothes are way over priced for one and like you said they grow out of them so fast. So you keep doing what you do. If they want you to buy new clothes tell them to give you some money. Just because they come from those places doesnt mean they are dirty or messed up I have been there plenty of times and found things with tags on it. FYI even the clothes we where that we think are new they are NOT. Clothes are recycled. They are washed and pressed. Keep your head up mommy!you rock

Senile-felines
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:03 PM

If that makes you a bad mother, than I'll just join you. My boys are 15 and 12 and for the beginning of school, we gave them each $50.00. They wanted to go thrift store shopping for school. They had a huge blast. The only stipulation we gave them, is they had to spend every red cent on clothes. They succeeded with many smiles. Happy shopping and be proud that YOU are getting the good deals!

organicMom2
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:24 PM
Absolutely not; That is absurd! Why is it a big deal to them? If they are so well off they should stop rubbing it in and buy your kids clothes if they are so concerned.. Good for you to spending smart for your family!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)